Solved! My audio doesn't work help PLEASE!

Feb 21, 2019
So yesterday I got my laptop out to listen to some study music, and when I turned the music on, I couldn't hear anything through the speakers. Then, I plugged my earbuds in and I could hear just perfectly fine. Why is it only my earbuds work and not my speakers?

Solution
Are we talking the speakers that are built in or external ones?

If external ones, then they could have been not plugged in all the way, or they could be damaged.

Now if you are talking the built in ones, it could also be a few things. Make sure no speakers or headphones are connected when doing these.

First, try rebooting (power it off and then back on) and see if the sounds work. Should they still not be working, then right click on the speaker icon in the task bar and make sure they are not muted or turned really low. If they still don't make any sound, then try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
  2. Click on "Sound".
  3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
  4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
  5. Now click...

If external ones, then they could have been not plugged in all the way, or they could be damaged.

Now if you are talking the built in ones, it could also be a few things. Make sure no speakers or headphones are connected when doing these.

First, try rebooting (power it off and then back on) and see if the sounds work. Should they still not be working, then right click on the speaker icon in the task bar and make sure they are not muted or turned really low. If they still don't make any sound, then try the following...

2. Click on "Sound".
  5. Now click the "Configure" button and follow the prompts. (Be sure you also click the "Test" button.)
  6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
  7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
  8. Now that you are back to the "Playback" tab, right click on the speakers and make sure that they are set to be "Enabled" and also to be the "Default" sound option.
  9. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

If you can hear during the "Test", then the speakers are working. However, if you can't hear anything, then it is possible your internal speakers have gone bad and would need replacing.

Reactions: Sidfawy
Solution
Feb 20, 2019

2. Click on "Sound".
  5. Now click the "Configure" button and follow the prompts. (Be sure you also click the "Test" button.)
  6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
  7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
  8. Now that you are back to the "Playback" tab, right click on the speakers and make sure that they are set to be "Enabled" and also to be the "Default" sound option.
  9. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".
If you can hear during the "Test", then the speakers are working. However, if you can't hear anything, then it is possible your internal speakers have gone bad and would need replacing.
+
Reinstall the driver for Audio or update it