my auto scene setting "automatically" changes (Nikon Coolpix p600)

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertgrl

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
my auto scene setting "automatically" changesback and forth, mainly to Sunset mode, not allowing me to take a shot. Suggestions?

ratsyrat

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
my friends nikon coolpix p600 does the same. i went and adjusted my setting under scene from scene auto selector to sunset. then i moved my selector on top to the automatic button where i want it to be. then it did what it had done before--it started flicker between auto to night landscape, then said raise the flash, then back to night portrait, then...and it keeps going beeping while the whole time set in automode. i did try to move it into manual mode, and it seemed to work and i did get a good picture just like i do every now and then in auto mode. then i took another picture in manual that in the viewfinder big screen area (sorry dont know whats its called) looked great but looked completely overexposed when i viewed it under my view button. also when i view under my view button, i can no longer actually view as long as i want or whatever the time is supposedly set for that seems reasonable. i get a flick of a second to view. i can quick look over maybe 3 images and i mean quick before it turns off the view images button. i just redid the manual mode which stops the flickering and took an image that should have worked and appeared like it should be fine but when i viewed it it was almost totally black. well now th viewing worked a bit better? anyhow whats going on?

ratsyrat

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
im not sure this will work permanently but the contacts might have had some stuff on it in mine. my husband spinned the auto-manual-scene back and forth manually for maybe a minute and it cleared it up, at least for now. you might want to try that and see if it helps.

tudor.price

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
Mine does the same as all the complaints on this site and other sites where I've looked for a solution. My conclusion is that every Nikon P600 manufactured has eventually arrived at this state of non performance either by a manufacturing design error, a batch of faulty components to cause this laten defect. Being honest folk we automatically assume we've done something wrong and instead of goin to Nikon where we fear they will charge us, we look for free help from other honest people. By now Nikon must be fully aware of their mistake and know exactly how to rectify it. But when I phoned and confessed to the expired guarantee, they wanted R120 to examine the camera, i.e. switch it on and confirm I'm not lying, and to tell me how much they are going to charge for fixing it. This should be published every where.

tanimabanerjeedhn

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
Mine had also the same problem and within warranty period I went to Nikon they changed my camera shutter button but after warranty period over I found again the same problem. Now it is very difficult to click snaps. Did you or anyone who has same problem find any solutions?

shutterbug22

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Same problem. Random mode settings and lens focus "hunting" accompanied by beeps at each random setting. In my opinion the camera had a latent defect either in design or manufacture and only a matter of time before it showed up. Working with Nikon Support resulted in them suggesting I send the camera for "repair." I've read more than a few reports that the repairs do not fix the problem.

Nikon does not seem to know about it, acknowledge it, or is purposely ignoring it. By sending it to repair facility, Nikon washes its hands of the problem and makes it an issue between the camera owner and the repair facility.

It seems a shame that a company with a good reputation should take this approach. As for me, I'm going to write it off as a total loss - maybe sell it for parts on E-bay. Remember the adage: "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
First and last Nikon for me.

Aug 4, 2018
I have been dealing with this problem. I own not one but 2 nikon p600. They both do this. I will not own another nikon and will not recommend them. 2 very expensive paper weights.

Status
Not open for further replies.