My brain hurts.... Gaming Laptop

OreoMadness

Estimable
May 28, 2014
Hey all, I know you get a thousand of these a day (I did try and look through them to get my answer was not very successful) but I would really appreciate your help.

Basically I have several choices at hand. I am also looking for the best bang for my buck. Keep in mind I need to buy from Best Buy since I have credit there and would like to use their 18 month no interest.

Here is what I am looking at:

Asus - ROG GL502VM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-gl502vm-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-black/5622789.p?skuId=5622789

Alienware - AW17R4-2727SLV
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-128gb-solid-state-drive-silver/5623233.p?skuId=5623233&productCategoryId=abcat0502000

MSI - GT72VR DOMINATOR-033
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-aluminum-black/5579195.p?skuId=5579195&productCategoryId=abcat0502000

Regarding MSI. I realize they have Apache Pro, Stealth Pro, Dominator and Dominator Pro lines. It is my understand and maybe I am wrong that Dominator and Dominator Pro are the ones to shoot for when it comes to middle / upper line quality parts. Maybe I am wrong so if I am please correct me. What I don't want to happen is buy one that costs more because of wrong information.

My top top top budget is around $1800. I would of course like to spend less. I would like to get a VR Ready 1060, 1070, 1080 desktop quality notebook through a major brand like the 3 I listed above. Origin, iBuyPower and what not are also good brands (maybe I am wrong) and so I would entertain that as well.

If I can get either a 4k UHD or 120MHz FHD display I would be ecstatic as long as it doesn't go over the $1800 budget I have set.

Keep in mind I can upgrade RAM and what not later. So as long as it has around 12GB 2400 MHz for my immediate needs I would be happy with that.

So please take a look at the ones I have found. I have been driving myself stupid trying to figure out the best deal for the specs I am looking for. At this point I just need a little advice to tell me if what I am buying is the best within that price range and if so which one gives me the best specs for the price. Otherwise, if I am far off and you know of one better within that price range please let me know as well.

Thanks all for your help!!

-Josh

Solution
Yes, the Dominator/Dominator Pro are higher end than the Stealth and Apache lines.

Just my personal preference, but I like a larger display, so that leaves the ASUS out of the running for me.

IF the other 2 had the same GPU, I'd take the MSI over the Alienware, but once again that is just personal preference. But as the Alienware has the superior GPU, if gaming prowess is your most important goal, I'd go for that one.

All three should have very good build quality.

Although the MSI has a two year warranty, the Alienware only one year.

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Not sure why this is hard. There are not many..there are 4. MSI, Alienware, Asus, and Sager are the only ones offering pascal atm. Alienware is starting to get reviews while the others have many youtube reviews. Each one has loadouts you can adjust based on how much you can afford.

Yes, the Dominator/Dominator Pro are higher end than the Stealth and Apache lines.

Just my personal preference, but I like a larger display, so that leaves the ASUS out of the running for me.

IF the other 2 had the same GPU, I'd take the MSI over the Alienware, but once again that is just personal preference. But as the Alienware has the superior GPU, if gaming prowess is your most important goal, I'd go for that one.

All three should have very good build quality.

Although the MSI has a two year warranty, the Alienware only one year.

Solution