Solved! My compaq laptop gets hot & shuts off even when battery is not connected

Solution
I would suggest you check the temps using temperature monitoring software to see what exactly is heating up. GPU, CPU, something else? Then you will get a better idea of what needs to be done.

NOTE: If you don't plan on doing the work to the laptop yourself (opening it up and fixing whatever turns out to be the cause), then I suggest either contacting the manufacturer (if under warranty) or taking it to a local tech to resolve the issue.
Nov 29, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from rdglassco : "My Compaq laptop gets hot and shuts off"

My Compaq Presario gets hot and shuts down after about 30 minutes. Even when the battery is not attached, is this something that can be fixed or should I get another laptop

I would suggest you check the temps using temperature monitoring software to see what exactly is heating up. GPU, CPU, something else? Then you will get a better idea of what needs to be done.

NOTE: If you don't plan on doing the work to the laptop yourself (opening it up and fixing whatever turns out to be the cause), then I suggest either contacting the manufacturer (if under warranty) or taking it to a local tech to resolve the issue.

Solution