my computer gets really slow at times

Noobie Drew

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
cpu:AMD FX(tm)-6350 six core
RAM:2x4GB ADATA
GPU:R9 270X HAWK
motherbord:asrock 970 pro3 r2.0

my pc gets really slow at times.youtube videos lag, games, everything.but after a restart every thing is just fine.(note i recently preinstaled my os from windows 7 to 8.1 pro).

Solution

could be hard drive related to even viruses etc.

I would start with scanning your pc with malware bytes etc usually if its hard drive related it will be slow all the time but I have seen cases where it starts up fine then becomes really slow.

download seagate sea tools and run the first disk test and see if it passes.

06yfz450ridr

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

could be hard drive related to even viruses etc.

I would start with scanning your pc with malware bytes etc usually if its hard drive related it will be slow all the time but I have seen cases where it starts up fine then becomes really slow.

download seagate sea tools and run the first disk test and see if it passes.

Solution

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
I'd think spyware first or a virus. Next would be a service running in the background. Then a badly coded program with a memory leak. Last thing I'd think would be a hard drive failure.

For spyware, run Malwarebytes to see what comes up. For antivirus, if you need one, either AVG, Avast or Avira and run a scan.
With services, that can be much trickier to track down. I'd suggest using something like CCleaner to help a little (plus it can clean out temp files).

By chance, do you have the Google Drive app on your desktop? There has been numerous people with issues of it eating up tons of CPU time until the app is forced shut down (essentially gets stuck on a sync); myself included (i5 haswell k, 30% constant usage when it does that).

Lastly, if all of those has been checked, follow 06yfz450ridr's advice and run a hard drive tool kit to see if it's failing or not.

06yfz450ridr

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

what program did you scan with? I recommend malware bytes and a scan with avira. malwarebytes wont always detect viruses since it isnt really made to do that.

make sure you check scan for root kits in malware bytes settings as well. avira you can adjust some scan settings to scan the system files and root kits as well. it will slow down the scan quite a bit enabling the system integrity check.

if you still are having issues I would recommend just reloading your OS. it is by far the easiest fix