My Cpu is different to what was advertised

Ninja4848

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015
I bought a new laptop and the specs that were advertised are:
I7 6500u 2.5GHz - 3.1GHz, 16GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 4 GB, 1080p 15.6' screen.
That's what the store told me it was, what the website said it was, its even what the sticker on the laptop itself says.

But, the Cpu that i have in the laptop is I7 7500u 2.7GHz - 3.5GHz, The system info panel, task manage, Systemlabrequirements (Can You Run It) all say that's what my laptop has.

Is it possible that the wrong cpu was put in the laptop or was the right cpu put in and just marked wrong?

What would be the value of both cpus?

Thanks for replying.

Solution
Well... the good news is the i7-7500u is slightly more powerful than the slightly older i7-6500u. Running CPU benchmarks can give you an indication of how much more powerful. But in real life, you will not notice a difference unless you run some really, really CPU intensive programs. The i7-7500u is also slightly more power efficient; if all other hardware is equal, then the i7-7500u can probably give around 30 minutes to 60 minutes more battery life than the i7-6500u when doing "average daily tasks".

Assuming your laptop still has the advertised 940mx and other hardware components, then they either accidentally advertised the older laptop, or they ran out of stock of the laptop you wanted to buy and they decided to simply sell you a...

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
some models will come with the cpu soldered, so it came from factory with that cpu and store announced it wrong i think

try cpu-z and check the information, it will offer more specific details on the cpu

those cpus are not sold to the public, afik

the msrp of those two, on ark site is

https://ark.intel.com/products/88194/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

and

https://ark.intel.com/products/95451/Intel-Core-i7-7500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz-

so you got there a discount! small but discount! :D

used to work at micro center 121 retail years back. when you look at the two cpu there the same other then the newer cpu has the updated chipset for video (620 over 520) and was the same price as last year cpu that was used in the same laptop. what happed is the vendor does not want to end or rename a laptop model cost a lot when one part goes end of life and another part of the same speed and spec replaces it.
on your laptop you scored the lotto on getting a newer cpu in your unit. if the spec on the box are right and online i would nicely speak with your salesmen that there product info out of date. you could put up a stink and return the unit as >bait and switch"" that the salesmen said a and the unit has b part in it. if the store does not get new flyers to keep up when a vendor swaps in newer parts you see this a lot in retail sales.

Well... the good news is the i7-7500u is slightly more powerful than the slightly older i7-6500u. Running CPU benchmarks can give you an indication of how much more powerful. But in real life, you will not notice a difference unless you run some really, really CPU intensive programs. The i7-7500u is also slightly more power efficient; if all other hardware is equal, then the i7-7500u can probably give around 30 minutes to 60 minutes more battery life than the i7-6500u when doing "average daily tasks".

Assuming your laptop still has the advertised 940mx and other hardware components, then they either accidentally advertised the older laptop, or they ran out of stock of the laptop you wanted to buy and they decided to simply sell you a newer model with a 7th generation Core i7 CPU that was released a few months ago.

Solution

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
good point, check that you have the gtx card, if not, well, i would return it

the video card is what gives life to a laptop like this one

a i7 u series is only two cores and 4 threads, mostly weak when compared to non u series cpu with 4 cores, those are more expensive but i prefer cores to threads more

Ninja4848

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015

i does have the Gtx in it.

The laptop was origanally $1400(aus), i got it for $900, im not sure if they would have put it on sale if the knew it had the updated cpu.

I went to another store and the sales person said i wouldnt get a 3.0+GHz, 16Gb Ram and 4GB Vram computer for less than $2200. but he also offered to put another 8Gb in a different computer for $400 so..

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
some stores charge too much for the same model that is sold on other sites but sometimes offers a printer, a extended warranty, a drone, a kit with keyboard and mouse, a smartphone or anything else to make it more interesting and to justify the different price

it doesn't mean the laptop costs 1400 and you got it for 900, it means they ask and value that model on 1400 but no one bought it at that price and sold it at 900, or they put the high price and expect you to believe that they offered that excellent opportunity

whatever the reason was, enjoy your new pc

Ninja4848

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015

tnx