Solved! My Dell laptop wont charge what do i do?

Nov 7, 2020
My dell laptop won't charge. When i turn on my laptop it says the ac adapter isn't recognized. The green light on the ac adapter itself is on and the screen is brighter when i plug in the charging cable but it's not actually charging. What should i do? Is there a way how to fix it without having to take the battery out and putting it back in again?
My laptop is on 2% now so I'd like to be able to fix it soon.

Solution
You didn't tell me if you are using the original charger that was shipped with the machine.

There is no way sure way to know if replacing the charger will fix the problem without going ahead and doing so unless you have a way to test it. If you could find a compatible charger to borrow, that would be a way to find out. I would recommend the OEM charger if you do end up replacing it.
Nov 7, 2020
Will the machine run using the external charger? If so, the battery may be no good. What do you mean it says the ac adapter isn't recognized? Is that an actual message you see displayed? Are you using the original charger?
the machine says when I turn it on your ac adapter is not recognized press f1 to...
press f2.... etc
I think I may have to buy a new ac adapter but im not sure. i just ran the diagnostics test and it found nothing wrong but it's still saying my ac adapter is not recognized and when I looked at the battery/charger connection it said AC Adapter: Unknown I moved the charging plug up and down a bit but it still says unknown. Do you think I should just buy a new ac adapter?

You didn't tell me if you are using the original charger that was shipped with the machine.

There is no way sure way to know if replacing the charger will fix the problem without going ahead and doing so unless you have a way to test it. If you could find a compatible charger to borrow, that would be a way to find out. I would recommend the OEM charger if you do end up replacing it.

Solution