Question My dell Latitude E6510 is very slow. If I change from windows 10 pro to window 7 or Linux operating system would it help stop it from being slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshcoder

Prominent
May 16, 2022
My dell Latitude E6510 is very slow
more details: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 560 @ 2.67GHz, 2667 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s),
64bit

If I change from windows 10 pro to
window 7 or Linux operating system
would it help stop it from running slow?

Last edited:
May 17, 2022
RAM: 6GB (it came with 4GB and I added 2GB) hoping it would help yet no improvement.
NO I'm still using HDD.
SSD will speed it up considerably. I am partial to Linux, so I would say to give Linux a try. you can run it from a UBS stick to see if your system is compatible. Then you can set up a dual boot scenario. Dell Computers usually do nicely with Linux installed. I have some laptops over 12 years old, and adding the SSD & Linux made them run better than new. Know that with anything new; there is a learning curve, although not to bad now..

Reactions: joshcoder

joshcoder

Prominent
May 16, 2022
SSD will speed it up considerably. I am partial to Linux, so I would say to give Linux a try. you can run it from a UBS stick to see if your system is compatible. Then you can set up a dual boot scenario. Dell Computers usually do nicely with Linux installed. I have some laptops over 12 years old, and adding the SSD & Linux made them run better than new. Know that with anything new; there is a learning curve, although not to bad now..

Alright, thank you... I will try this.
while running it from a USB stick do I need to backup my files or it wouldn't affect it.

what about Linux alone without changing to SSD.
And please I would like to know also if I change to Windows 7

Alright, thank you... I will try this.
while running it from a USB stick do I need to backup my files or it wouldn't affect it.

SSD makes a huge difference in system speed, its probably the single best thing for a system upgrade in a laptop.
It's also a good idea to add in a second 4gb stick so the RAM runs in dual channel mode and get rid of the 2gb one.

Linux should run faster than Windows 10 or 11, but not really that much if you are using an old platter drive. For the cost of an SSD now it's definitely worth the swap and doing a clean Win 10 setup.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022

Probably your HDD failing.

SSD and 8GB RAM wil make an astronomical diffierence, but if you're using any of the Sandy Bridge dual cores (all i5s and i3s) then you will still have a pretty miserable experience.

Coupled on top of the laptop's age and the fact that the thermal paste is probably dry and crusty, you're SoL. Time to buy a new laptop.

joshcoder

Prominent
May 16, 2022
SSD makes a huge difference in system speed, its probably the single best thing for a system upgrade in a laptop.
It's also a good idea to add in a second 4gb stick so the RAM runs in dual channel mode and get rid of the 2gb one.

Linux should run faster than Windows 10 or 11, but not really that much if you are using an old platter drive. For the cost of an SSD now it's definitely worth the swap and doing a clean Win 10 setup.
THANK YOU.
WHAT about windows 7??

Last edited:

joshcoder

Prominent
May 16, 2022
Probably your HDD failing.

SSD and 8GB RAM wil make an astronomical diffierence, but if you're using any of the Sandy Bridge dual cores (all i5s and i3s) then you will still have a pretty miserable experience.

Coupled on top of the laptop's age and the fact that the thermal paste is probably dry and crusty, you're SoL. Time to buy a new laptop.
THANKS.
HOW do I know this "if you're using any of the Sandy Bridge dual-cores (all i5s and i3s)"
AND can I change the thermal paste??

Last edited:
THANK YOU.
WHAT about windows 7??

Can't say if it will be faster, but it's not supported now and would be less secure. SSD and a clean Windows setup will make the system feel better than when it was new. The CPU is slow, but the SSD will make loading things much faster, and if you can get 8 GB dual channel RAM in the system that would up the speed a little bit as well. Will cost well under $100 for the upgrades.

Larry_54

Honorable
May 15, 2016
SSDs make a big difference. The best way to downgrade to windows 7 is to do a clean install, make sure all data is backed up and that you have copies of the apps you need to reinstall. A complete reinstall will wipe out all of the temp files and logs that may slow your machine down. I would not recommend trying to change thermal paste unless you have experience. Although pretty simple, if you do it wrong it can become a real problem. To get system information you can simply google the exact model you have or go into settings -system -about.

Status
Not open for further replies.