my galaxys 3 started turning off a few times then progressed by the end of the day wont even turn on. I charged my extra phone

Solution
hmm. If using the same charger, on both phones, and neither will turn on, it sounds like the either the charger itself is not working correctly and needs to be replaced, or the battery is damaged/dead and needs replacing, or the charging port is damaged on both phone and needs replacing.

However, before going out and getting a new charger, try a different outlet. Just to make sure that isn't the issue. If it isn't the outlet then the cord being replaced would be next.

Obviously replacing the cord would be simpler, and cheaper than having to repair the phones.

Now, please note, since the phones are very drained/dead it is important to leave them charging for a few hours (versus a few minutes). Once most phones reach 0 or close, they...
hmm. If using the same charger, on both phones, and neither will turn on, it sounds like the either the charger itself is not working correctly and needs to be replaced, or the battery is damaged/dead and needs replacing, or the charging port is damaged on both phone and needs replacing.

However, before going out and getting a new charger, try a different outlet. Just to make sure that isn't the issue. If it isn't the outlet then the cord being replaced would be next.

Obviously replacing the cord would be simpler, and cheaper than having to repair the phones.

Now, please note, since the phones are very drained/dead it is important to leave them charging for a few hours (versus a few minutes). Once most phones reach 0 or close, they need much more time to work. And if the battery is not functioning correctly it could need more time.

If the cord changed doesn't do it, then I would try replacing the battery. If that isn't it, last thing is to have it looked at to see if the port (and possibly the motherboard) needs replacing.

Solution