Question My iPhone 11 has evidence to report a criminal case. Per Apple, "permanently locked out," but they now say some 3rd parties can get it; But who?

Mar 29, 2023
I'm the original phone owner & know my log-in code, but according to the Apple Genus Bar supervisors, my screen broke over the keypad and interpreted movement as attempts to log-in, "permanently" locking anyone, including Apple from accessing the data, even from the cloud (if it was actually backed up there). But I called Apple Support & asked: What if that data is needed as evidence in a legal case? They said that can be a different matter. They implied they could possibly recover it, ex., with a warrant; and told me they've heard of third parties who have developed a work-around that enables them to get past a "permanent" lock-out. But they didn't say who can do it. Does anyone know? (This is provably not a stolen phone).

Related: I once tried to drag-and-drop a backup to my computer, but I think I did it without iTunes. (My iTunes downloads never worked because the phone was too full - per Apple). Not sure if my computer DL worked or what was saved, because it kept timing out. (Is there a way to view that on my computer to see if it saved what I need?) Thanks so much.

Mar 29, 2023
To my knowledge, there are several who claim to be able to accessed such phones, and none actually work.

The phone uses an encrypted OS that ensures data can't be recovered.

Cloud recovery is a different matter, to some extent.

Thank you. Re. cloud recovery, tho: techs says the phone needs to be replaced, but Apple requires that I go online & delete the phone, which I believe deletes the cloud info, too. Can the cloud info be accessed without accessing the phone itself?
I’m using an iPhone-7 for now…would it help if I changed my 7’s phone # to my broken iPhone-11’s phone #? …or maybe if I put my SIM in someone else’s iPhone?
Thx again

Last edited: