My kids have been playing with my laptop and the screens gone very very dark, u can just make out the images underneath but st

Solution
if the laptops own brigtness setting(usually fn+f7 or fn+f8) doesn't work, it might be that they somehow bumped the screen and broke/disconnected it's backlight functionality or the ribbon cable between laptop and screen got loose.

broken thing is not simple or cheap, loose cable can be fixed if you know how to take the laptop/screen apart.
If you don't know, it's best not to try yourself, you risk breaking the laptop further.

Laptop should still work normally with external monitor though

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
As long as it's not a backlight gone bad, there should be F keys with extra functions, Find the one like these with a + or up arrow and hold the Fn key and press the Up one until its at the brightness you desire.

ch000594-fn-brightness-2.jpg

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
if the laptops own brigtness setting(usually fn+f7 or fn+f8) doesn't work, it might be that they somehow bumped the screen and broke/disconnected it's backlight functionality or the ribbon cable between laptop and screen got loose.

broken thing is not simple or cheap, loose cable can be fixed if you know how to take the laptop/screen apart.
If you don't know, it's best not to try yourself, you risk breaking the laptop further.

Laptop should still work normally with external monitor though

Solution