Solved! My laptop crashed and wont recognize hard disk any more

willow1969

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
my toshiba laptop started acting up then just quit working,it did not come with a reinstall disc. i made a backup/recovery disc a repair windows 7 disc and none worked.what can i do

Solution
Sounds like a new hard drive is the only route, you may have some luck recovering data if you hook up the old hard drive to an external enclosure and plug it in to a different computer to see if it gets recognized

Ari3sgr3gg0

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Sounds like a new hard drive is the only route, you may have some luck recovering data if you hook up the old hard drive to an external enclosure and plug it in to a different computer to see if it gets recognized

Solution

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
Nearly all my HDD failures in the past 15 years were boot sector failures meaning the only symptom was that they could not be used for boot drives. As has been suggested a new boot drive seems in order and possibly using the old HDD as a second drive in your system (if you have room) or migrating data through a USB port.

SubagioBK

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

To get your data, can try to use the usb to sata/ide connector dan access from other pc or laptop, do backup to other disk.
To Install, can use windows 7 fresh install, and windows 7 will mostly recognize your drivers, however I recommend to download from the vendor website and update (usually better than windows original driver). After that can restore your data back. Recommendation.. can partition your disk into 2 drives, C for OS and Programs only, D for your data, so when things like this happen again.. u can always format C drive, and not lose all your data on D.