My laptop dilemma.

Maxdownload

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014
I'm looking for some opinions on a couple of laptops.

I recently bought a laptop from work for a great deal.

Acer E1 15.6"
A6-5200 @ 2.0 GHz
8GB ram
500 GB HDD
AMD radeon HD 8400

The specs are great for the price I paid. It is near impossible to get a brand new laptop with these specs for the price I paid. The problem I have is the trackpad. It has an awful texture and doesn't respond frequently. It forces me to close the lid and re open hoping it resets or restarting completely. I've tried everything from drivers and updates. It seems to be a hardware issue.

I can take it back but there are no more laptops of this model in my distract.

My other option, where my problem lies. I can spend $200 more and get as follows:

Toshiba 15.6"
i5 4200u @ 1.6 GHz
8GB ram
750 GB HDD
2GB Nvidia GT740M

I do web design, code, and light gaming. It'll mainly be a work laptop. Just need some opinions out there and which one you guys would go with.

Maxdownload

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014

I got a USB mouse to get around that issue. I guess my biggest problem is Acer and the poor build quality. I got the laptop for $270 before tax and the Toshiba is $435 before tax. I like the 2GB GT740M and the higher build quality of the Toshiba.

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
That is a really good price on the Acer. For under $300 for a notebook, I would not worry too much about the build quality, and just save the money for the next machine down the road in a few years. I have owned 2 notebooks from Acer. The first from 2008 still works fine, and was updated to Win 8. The other, from 2010 only lasted 2 years, but I used it daily and it was a CULV that I carried around constantly. YMMV