My laptop does not list hotspot in available networks

Apr 30, 2018
My laptop can't connect to hotspot (Verizon). First I could see the hotspot in the list of available networks. Signal strength 100% since the phone was right next to the laptop. But it would not connect. Other devices like my tablet are connected and work fine.

I restarted the laptop, restarted the phone. Now the hotspot does not show in the list of available networks. It lists all my neighbours', but not my hotspot. However if I go through device manager or something, it does list Verizon hotspot as available network, but it is invisible in the list of networks in right lower corner where I can choose the network and hit Connect bitton.

Any ideas how to make it vidible, or connect another way?

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Have you tried re-installing your network cards drivers? Also could try the Windows troubleshooter. Surprisingly, it does work and has fixed a couple problems I couldn't figure out.

Apr 30, 2018

Troubleshooter says the adapter works fine, and it does since it sees every network around the house, except my hotspot. When it opens the solution it just says there are no available network in range that I use - 4 of them, 3 of which are not in range, but the 4th hotspot is in range, next to the laptop - but it does not show it as available.

Does it connect to the other networks, though? Or does it drop them the way it did with your hotspot?

Apr 30, 2018
All the networks that show on the list are protected by a password so I can't check if it will connect or drop. I will take the laptop back home today to see if it will connect to my home WiFi

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

No worries. It happens.
Have you checked on your phone under the Hotspot options for Allowed devices? See if by chance your computer is there. Just a thought.

Sounds good, let us know. :) (You can also try a free network, like at a coffee shop, diner, library, etc.).

Apr 30, 2018

No, it is not on the list. I marked "Allow WiFi access to -> All devices" I thought it covers all, not just allowed.

Apparently, my other laptop that was always connecting to this hotspot does not see it either. Something got screwed up and I have to find a solution quick as my job depends on this hot spot - I my Internet drops I have to get online quick and hotspot did the job.

I tried to add the laptop to the phone as an allowed device. It was asking for MAC address, I found it, put in the list of allowed devices. but the laptop still does not see it.

Apr 30, 2018

The laptop in question connects to my home Wifi just fine. It sees all networks, except the phone hotspot.

Things are getting worse since at home I have my other laptop that always had my Samsung phone hotspot as backup and worked with it as a charm. Now my phone is not on the list of available networks either.

The only thing that connects to the hotspot now is my Android tablet.

I have added my other laptop's MAC address to allowed devices to connect to. No results. Still the hotspot is not on the list of the available networks.

I am having a sense that the problem is the phone. Can it be "hidden" or "unseen" somehow?

Apr 30, 2018
Thank you all for your advice. I called Verizon and after switching of / on, rebooting, removing SIM card and such they finally deactivated my device, and activated it again. It worked, the hotspot is now visible and works on all 3 devices, with a new password.