my laptop has 2gb graphic card but then also my games open slowly

damreal

Estimable
May 30, 2015
I bought new hp laptop having 4 gb ram 2 gb nvidia geforce graphic card but when i run my games like call of duty modern warfare it works very slowly i tried changing resolutions bt then also it dosn't affected much

steakjake

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
COD Advanced Warfare is a pretty demanding game, atleast for a low range laptop gpu (no offence) and that gpu also uses DDR3 ram which may be a limiter also as most gpus use GDDR5

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
The GeForce 820m is an entry level graphics card, but it should still be able to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare with decent framerates. ( http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-820M.108477.0.html )

It is possible that your laptop is automatically selecting the Intel graphics instead of the faster Nvidia chip, try accessing the "NVIDIA Control Panel" And in the "Manage 3D settings" menu, chance the prefered graphics processor to "High-performance NVIDIA processor"

See if this improves anything, and then report back.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Is your laptop both - Plugged into AC power? Set to high-performance power mode?
If a laptop is running on battery, it will self-limit the power draw in order to prevent the battery from overheating. This means slowing down the CPU+GPU, or limiting the framerate of applications.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Well, final suggestion I have.
When was the last time you properly de-dusted your laptop? It is imperative that a laptops heatsink be regularly cleaned. If I don't clean my laptops heatsink out at least once every couple weeks, my CPU hits an extra 20C+ higher than normal, causing downclocking leading to frame stutter.

Even a thin layer of dust causes this issue for my device, if you have access to compressed air (Compressor attachment or canned) I recommend taking the bottom plate off your laptop and dedusting the heatsink. (Make sure the FAN does NOT spin! This generates current back into the board, just hold the fan still.)

If a thorough heatsink cleaning doesn't improve anything, I'm out of any likely ideas to help you. Usually when your FPS is low, and doesnt change with graphical settings that indicates a CPU issue, for CPU load does not change with graphics settings. (Hence my thought of CPU overheating.)

damric

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

This is 100% true. 820m is really quite useless for any modern gaming, no much how much memory you give it.

DSzymborski

Distinguished

We don't have any solutions that make an low-end GPU into a better one. The only real solution if you need to use it for higher-end gaming is to return the laptop and buy one that's more suited to those types of games.