My laptop has a built in battery, how should i charge it?

ravendarkholme

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
I bought a lenovo ideapad 320 and it has built in battery. I wasn't aware of it until I got home and noticed it doesn't have a removable battery.

How do i charge it?
Is it okay to leave it plugged in even if it's fully charged? How can I prolong the life of its built in battery?

Solution
I leave my laptop, phone and tablet plugged in 24/7 when I'm not using them and been doing so with my mobile devices for 20+ years, never been a problem. Once the battery is charged, the charging circuit disconnects and the device is powered directly from its external source, the battery is no longer involved until external power is removed. In most cases, this is done by simply diode-ORing power sources and having external power be a slightly higher voltage than the battery.

Shotta06

Prominent
May 4, 2017
It's never a good idea to leave a laptop plugged in for an extended time while using if fully charged.

Prolong it by charging untill 100% and then untill I dies to cycle the Battery. Works the same w.even phones and such.

Most common users do not follow this advise and it in theory shouldn't effect the life much if you would choose to keep it plugged in.

Again, optimally charge 100% - use untill die.

I disagree lithium-ion batteries doe not need cycling full power on and off to keep life, I have several laptops and phones, and none ever needed a replacement early battery because I leave it plugged in, as a matter of fact if your gaming with a laptop you need to keep it plugged in because the system will be able to draw more amps from the wall power and provide a better gaming experience over running it off the battery alone.

InvalidError

Distinguished
I leave my laptop, phone and tablet plugged in 24/7 when I'm not using them and been doing so with my mobile devices for 20+ years, never been a problem. Once the battery is charged, the charging circuit disconnects and the device is powered directly from its external source, the battery is no longer involved until external power is removed. In most cases, this is done by simply diode-ORing power sources and having external power be a slightly higher voltage than the battery.

Solution

Shotta06

Prominent
May 4, 2017
I add to my statement. A quick Google search stated you can double the life if you charge to ~85-90% instead of 100%. I don't know how you state keeping a laptop plugged in is adequate.. Your wrong.

I leave my phone and such plugged in 100% of the time when possible. But, every single article states that is not optimal.

He asked how to make his battery last the longest and leaving it connected for extended use is not the way.

InvalidError

Distinguished
If you want to maximize the total amp-hours life of the battery, you would run the battery 80-20% but that puts continuous wear on the battery.

If you want to maximize the total calendar life of the laptop battery on a laptop that is rarely used far away from a power outlet, the best option is to not use the battery in the first place by leaving the laptop plugged in whenever it isn't going to be moving for a while. Staying at 100% doesn't put any wear on the battery.

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
To the people posting about cycling and such, bad info. The controller in the battery and the computers BIOS, heck even the OS already do these things for you, no input required. Just plug it in and run it.

To the original poster, you do understand that while they make the battery a real pain to get to, pretty much all batteries are replaceable. They do it that way so you will have to pay to get it done. But if you are careful, and can find the battery you need, you can usually do the work yourself.