Solved! my laptop is overheating for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

apoorv569

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
i have a old hp 430 laptop which when i turn on and after like a min or 2 weird screen like old tv noise shows and it shuts down and when i turn it on again it says its overheating i check the bottom by touch nothing was even warm everything was cool but i cnt seem to fix it i barely can use it as i login and it shuts down due to overheating can someone plz help.

this is the screen that appears after 2-3 mins https://imgur.com/Ts0qFDD
then is shuts down and when i start again it says overheating

Solution
Okay, so while HWMonitor is generally a great way to go for finding out why your system overheats, I don't think it will work here, just because your system only manages to stay up for a minute or two, and between windows taking forever to load and having to download, install, run, and grab a photo or glimpse of the temps, you probably won't get far.

Could you locate the fan vents on the side or back of your laptop and feel for hot air? There are a couple of potentially interesting scenarios here:

A: You feel a very small amount of hot air blowing out of the vent
Conclusion: Vents blocked, requires compressed air or deep cleaning

B: You feel heat radiating out of that area, but no air
Conclusion: Your fan is not functioning correctly...

apoorv569

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016

there is only one fan one the left side its working i cleaned it too with blowing air in it and there are vents below for ram hdd and one more i cleaned the vents too..

enauwen

Estimable
Nov 22, 2018
Can you install HWmonitor and keep an eye on the temps for the 2mins it is working? This way you can verify that a component is really overheating and its not an false alarm.

thedeathclox

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Okay, so while HWMonitor is generally a great way to go for finding out why your system overheats, I don't think it will work here, just because your system only manages to stay up for a minute or two, and between windows taking forever to load and having to download, install, run, and grab a photo or glimpse of the temps, you probably won't get far.

Could you locate the fan vents on the side or back of your laptop and feel for hot air? There are a couple of potentially interesting scenarios here:

A: You feel a very small amount of hot air blowing out of the vent
Conclusion: Vents blocked, requires compressed air or deep cleaning

B: You feel heat radiating out of that area, but no air
Conclusion: Your fan is not functioning correctly - either fan needs replaced or a very deep cleaning is required due to severe blockage

C: You feel and or hear wind rushing out of the vent, but it's not particularly warm
Conclusion: Your thermal compound is bad and needs replaced. TIM (thermal interface material) helps transfer heat from the processor / gpu to the cooler to be expelled by the fan. Bad / old compound becomes an insulator and fails to transfer the heat to the cooling system. This results in your computer fruitlessly ramping up the fan to cool itself off, but the fan is not blowing heat out because the cooling system isn't hot, because the thermal compound is blocking the CPU from transferring the heat to the cooling system, rather than assisting it.

D: You feel hot air coming out at a decent rate
Conclusion: Not entirely sure - your CPU is definitely hot, and your cooling system is doing its job, but it still is not enough. Something else is causing your system to overheat, but I don't know what it might be.

Please let me know what you find. Good luck!

Solution

apoorv569

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016

i feel a very small amount of warm not hot air coming out even if i hear fan speed increasing air coming out is very small.

Status
Not open for further replies.