Question My laptop is running 95 Celsius idle

iTri

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
My laptop is running 95° Celsius on idle and I've tried everything I can think of. I've had heating issues at the before, but it's gotten much worse, So bad that it is currently unusable. before it would only reach temperatures like that in games and I would have to use an ice pack. I'm not sure what triggered it to get worse or what was wrong with it in the first place, but I decided to open it quite recently and I repasted my laptop and cleaned out a considerable amount of dust. I thought that was the issue and I went to boot it up today and it was a consistent 95 and throttling the whole time. I've also tried undervolting it, though it had a negligible effect. My laptop is a ASUS GL703VD-WB71, it has a GTX 1060 and an i7-7700HQ. I bought it "refurbished" from Amazon. I'm ready to sell this thing on craigslist as scrap.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Couple of things...,

Run performance monitor and see if there is a specific process that is using the cpu. You could have a virus or program that is doing something that you can kill.

are your fans working?

You should be able to cool it down a bit in the meantime by shutting off turbo mode, easiest way to do that is to go into power settings and set maximum cpu to 95%. This will slow down your computer for games, but you won’t notice it anywhere else.

you should also update your BIOS and all windows drivers.... and all of the vendors recommended drivers.

R

iTri

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
Couple of things...,

Run performance monitor and see if there is a specific process that is using the cpu. You could have a virus or program that is doing something that you can kill.

are your fans working?

You should be able to cool it down a bit in the meantime by shutting off turbo mode, easiest way to do that is to go into power settings and set maximum cpu to 95%. This will slow down your computer for games, but you won’t notice it anywhere else.

you should also update your BIOS and all windows drivers.... and all of the vendors recommended drivers.

R
The CPU utilization never really exceeds 34%, my fans are spinning and sound like they're working all right. I went to install the BIOS file for my laptop and unzip it, I use that to try and update my BIOS, but it keeps saying update failed. I looked around and it seems like it's supposed to be a .bin file but mine is a 310 file. Am I supposed to rename it or something?

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Sorry- I don't know how ASUS updates the BIOS. You should follow the instructions on their website. Usually where you downloaded the file from should also have some info on this.

If you are only at 35% utilization, the cooling system is having an issue. Try to do that 95% max cpu thing in the power settings and see if that cools it off as a test.

R

iTri

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
Sorry- I don't know how ASUS updates the BIOS. You should follow the instructions on their website. Usually where you downloaded the file from should also have some info on this.

If you are only at 35% utilization, the cooling system is having an issue. Try to do that 95% max cpu thing in the power settings and see if that cools it off as a test.

R
I'm sorry that it took me so long to come back to this. I have tested the 95% max CPU thing, it had no notable effect on the temperature. I even went down to 85% with no changes. I could not update the BIOS because it was already at the current version, all my windows drivers are up to date and all the other drivers. If all the software issues are out of the way, which part of my hardware could be the cause of this? Thank you for your time.
EDIT: So I change minimum processor state to 5% and maximum to 50% after resetting the device and my temps went down to 75C on idle. By downloading notebook fan control, forcing the fans to 100%, I got the temps down to 68 C idle. It is finally usable but this seems a bit drastic, undervolted , new thermal paste, 100% fans, and limited cpu clocks just so that it won't crash within 20 minutes. trying to use a single tab of chrome causes the temps to increase 10 C, what could possibly be going wrong?

Last edited: