Question My laptop screen goes off suddenly after charger is plugged in

Aug 7, 2021
after I plug my charger to the laptop after few seconds the screen goes off but the keyboard is lit.

Aug 7, 2021
I can use my laptop in battery power but when I plug in my charger after 5 to 10 seconds later the screen goes off. I can charge my laptop if it in shutdown or sleep mode . (Sometimes after plugging in the charger the screen would be awake for a longer period while charged and then the screen goes off)

mrmike16

Honorable
I am not understanding- Is the screen going off while plugged in idly? Or while you are actively using the computer?

If it's while being idle, try to check your power settings and choose how long the PC waits before turning off your screen while plugged in. In Windows 10, go to Settings-->System-->Power and sleep, and change it from there.

If it's while being active, sounds like some kind of circuitry issue. I found this solution from a quick Google search, from laptop.gemwon.com:
"Press the Windows key, then type "Troubleshoot" and press Enter. Select "View All" on the left panel and run the "Power" troubleshooter from the list to see if it works. Click Advanced, and then click Automatically apply repair. Also make sure to select "Run as administrator". "

Aug 7, 2021
my Lenovo Y540 randomly turns the screen off. The only way to get it to work again is to hold the power button to turn the computer off, and then power it on again.

The PC is turned on the entire time that the screen is black. While the screen is out, the power button is on, FN button on the keyboard is on, caps lock activates/deactivates etc. Everything indicates that the PC is running, but the screen randomly dies. Turning off the PC, and on again works 100% of the time.

I haven't been able to find a similar case to this, so I hope there's help out there!

I have tried the following:

Plug out the battery and hold the power button for 30 seconds
Reinstalling the PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10
Charged it all the way up to 100% power.

Sep 14, 2021
I can confirm this also happen to me.

I can normally use my laptop with battery power. But once I plugged in the power to charge my battery ,after 3 second to many minutes, the screen turn off (not dim) . I really don't know what to do except charge my laptop before use and use it without power plugged in.

I try safe mode works normally with power plugged in.

I think it is a driver issue. How can I know which driver cause the problem?

mrmike16

Honorable
I can confirm this also happen to me.

I can normally use my laptop with battery power. But once I plugged in the power to charge my battery ,after 3 second to many minutes, the screen turn off (not dim) . I really don't know what to do except charge my laptop before use and use it without power plugged in.

I try safe mode works normally with power plugged in.

I think it is a driver issue. How can I know which driver cause the problem?

If it's working on Safe Mode, then I agree with you that it's a driver issue. Check that all of your drivers are up to date. If they are, back up your PC and use System Restore to roll back to a date from before the issue started to occur. After that, pay attention to what Windows Update is installing.

mrmike16

Honorable
my Lenovo Y540 randomly turns the screen off. The only way to get it to work again is to hold the power button to turn the computer off, and then power it on again.

The PC is turned on the entire time that the screen is black. While the screen is out, the power button is on, FN button on the keyboard is on, caps lock activates/deactivates etc. Everything indicates that the PC is running, but the screen randomly dies. Turning off the PC, and on again works 100% of the time.

I haven't been able to find a similar case to this, so I hope there's help out there!

I have tried the following:

Plug out the battery and hold the power button for 30 seconds
Reinstalling the PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10
Charged it all the way up to 100% power.

I will need to refresh on the rules about this, but I think this should be posted on a new thread. Check if the screen is completely off, or if it is just the backlight. If the screen is extremely dim, then the backlight seems to be dying.
If the screen is completely off, and not just the backlight, then try running the PC in Safe Mode. If it's working on Safe Mode without the screen turning off, then, like in zincth's case, it's a driver issue.