my laptop screen is black and the fan is just quiet though the charger light and the light that shows that is on are okay

Mogomotsi_1

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
i did not switch off the laptop it just went off on its own and when i tried to switch it off the lights that shows its on were on but the screen remain black. my laptop is an HP model
hope i will get help. um someone who is not too technological so um afraid to open it.

Solution
Well if the desktop shows on the external monitor, you need to check the displays ribbon cable and if that is fine, replace the display.

If it doesn't show on the external monitor replace the graphics card.

You did one of those? Replaced the display or the card?
If only your screen is black, then I would try turning off the laptop, connect an external monitor, turn on the external monitor and then turn the laptop on. If you can see everything on the external monitor, then your laptops display is the issue.

If it is under warranty, then I would be contacting the manufacturer. If it isn't under warranty, then you (if you feel comfortable opening it up) can check the ribbon cable that connects the display for tears, bends, pinched sections, looseness, etc., and replace it (or reconnect it) if necessary. If that isn't it, you may need to replace the display.

Now if nothing shows on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card.

Well if the desktop shows on the external monitor, you need to check the displays ribbon cable and if that is fine, replace the display.

If it doesn't show on the external monitor replace the graphics card.

You did one of those? Replaced the display or the card?

Solution