Solved! My laptop shuts down when I install gpu drivers

Oct 8, 2020
I’ve had this laptop for about 6 years now and last year its battery died but I was still able to play games and then 6 months later its charger wire got chewed by a rat so I had to use an alternative charger from another laptop, it was still playing games fine but I could not go into high performance mode without it turning off.

Last month, I could not play games anymore or install gpu drivers, when I try to instal gpu drivers it runs for 10 secs then shutsdown right away.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L840

i5-3210m
amd radeon hd 7670m
4gb ram

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect the charger you are using does not supply enough current to run the machine when demand is high. Are you sure the alternate charger is adequate? Is it the same as the original charger? Look at the rated current on the original charger and the one you are using. Is the rated current at least as high as the original?

I suspect the charger you are using does not supply enough current to run the machine when demand is high. Are you sure the alternate charger is adequate? Is it the same as the original charger? Look at the rated current on the original charger and the one you are using. Is the rated current at least as high as the original?

Oct 8, 2020
I checked the chargers and the one im currently using is slightly lower than the original one. Ill get a new one this week and I hope it is able to install gpu drivers now

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laptop Tech Support 2
R Laptop Tech Support 0
N Laptop Tech Support 0
alexandru123123 Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 15
P Laptop Tech Support 5
F Laptop Tech Support 5
jankeza Laptop Tech Support 9
S Laptop Tech Support 0
Z Laptop Tech Support 0
Haika Laptop Tech Support 0