my laptop stopped working altogether it seems. wont stay on either

askingstuff712

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
hello. i looked at the sticky post here. and i dont know what "no post" is so im asking here.

i had this laptop for 10 to 12 years or so. it been used for home/personal use. i have a highspeed broadband internet always on connection.

just a couple or so years ago i bought a new router and modem that allows me to use my desktop and my laptop pc aroudn the whole house with the ability to [change my cridentials if i need to]. because i REALLYYY needed that.

it seems that theres a very bad virus on my laptop. for the last 3 years or so i havent used the lapop because it wouldnt stay on for more than 5 minutes after it got into windows vista. (micreosoft still gives extended support for windows vista dont they?). so i cant do any virus/malware scans. i cant do the disk cleanup and defrag and etc either.

the laptop seems to start up faster today than it did back the first week that it started doign this on me.

i undid the operating system back then 7 or 8 years ago. so that messed it's startign up a ton. then i put it back with the restore discs. so that prob was solved way back then.

so wheres the virus and how do i get rid of it? and if its a hardware part going, then which one(s) is it?

askingstuff712

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
did you guys also need this bit of info : i use avg free (basic plan), ccleaner, malwarebytes, microsoft securety essentials, disk cleanup, defragmenter, trendmicro.housecall, spybot. and thats it. but like i said above the laptop only stayed on for 5 minutes. and during the time windows was up i was doing a scan with avg. and the pc still just shut right off.

on this pc im useing now (my desktop) i thought about "hey, my registry needs cleaned sometimes too" because that subject came up somehow. so i downloaded the free version of aml registry cleaner for windows 7. and i had it do syste, restore during installation if it asked for that. then i opened it and clicked create restore point. and also do a registry backup. then ran it. and i let it scan on whatever it had marked and etc (not touchign anything). and it messed up my pc a little. so i had to do the steps to get the registry files restored. then i definitely did a system restore of the point i created. so then after that i deleted that program.

do u guys know about that subject also?

most registry cleaners can mess up your pc. Generally, I would avoid them.

There is a popular antivirus program called combofix. It is a easy to use program. Just download the program, open it, proceed with the onscreen instruction, then a blue cmd box should appear and the scan should take up to an hour (since you have an old laptop). It usually takes 10 minutes on modern hardware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Good luck. This program can fix stuff other programs can;t

askingstuff712

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
i still need some help please. iceblitz had a good idea. but it wont work untill someone can help me to get my laprop to stay on like it should after its been fully charged. how can i find out if the problem is the wall plug?

askingstuff712

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

i tried that one day. the laptop still shuts itself off. should i buy another power cord for it? tomorow ill look in my junk and see if i been useing the wrong cord for all these days. but i doubt it because the laptop's cord has a velcro strap on it. and i see it right there now.

someone please help me some more.

is it the hardware? we bought this from best buy. i know THEY wouldnt jipp me.

Flash Cloud

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
it's either power related (ie power cord, power button or power supply), motherboard (bad news), malware (since you can boot into it), driver crash, or over heating.