My laptop wont boot properly. Please Help!

ghoston1998

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016
I have a Toshiba Satellite L75D-A7283 with Windows 8 and when I turn on the power button it gives me the logo of Toshiba or a black screen and it stays there. It will not boot up normally. What should I do?

PS: Im using a different computer to type this question.

Solution
It depends on your ability to get into BIOS and was just an advance question. It might help if you buy a USB converter to allow the hard disk from the laptop to connect to your other PC.

It would allow you to move your personal data to a place of safety.
Restart again and watch for the information on how to get into BIOS or Settings. I think Toshiba may use Function 1 but it will show very briefly on the sceen.

Once you're in there, look out for your hard disk. If it's showing up it probably works but if there's an option for a S.M.A.R.T. test, take that.

Do you have a Windows 8 DVD or Toshiba Recovery disks?

ghoston1998

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016

No I havent yet. Is there a way to fix it without the disk or no?

It depends on your ability to get into BIOS and was just an advance question. It might help if you buy a USB converter to allow the hard disk from the laptop to connect to your other PC.

It would allow you to move your personal data to a place of safety.

Solution

BadAsAl

Distinguished
So windows 8 will boot into the repair menu if it detects that it can't start 3 times in a row. You have probably powered down and back up more times than that so I'm guessing it isn't even trying to boot.
I would download and burn a CD of Seatools for DOS and boot to that, then run the short and long tests to test if the drive is failing. Any errors means it is and you need to replace.