My laptop wont charge

Mar 8, 2018
I have the Dell Inspiron 14 5000 series touchscreen(Inspiron 5458). I recently bought a brand nee battery from dell since mine was old and leaking. The battery would never charge. Well, a couple days later now and it isnt charging again... I dont know what to do anymore. Im not sure if it is the laptop or charger cord now. I had the laptop since 2015, bought brand new.

Solution
Have you replaced the AC adapter? If this is the second battery in just 2 1/2 years, the culprit is most likely a defective AC adapter providing an incorrect voltage and/or amperage to the battery. This will slowly destroy the battery over time. The first battery leaking and now the brand new replacement battery not properly recharging are both indications of a defective AC adapter.

morgancomputers

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
Have you tried removing the Battery, plugging in the mains charger and powering it on? Your model like most should run direct from AC charger without a battery installed. If it does then its not the charger causing the problem.

If it fails to boot, I would try a new cloverleaf power cable to the transformer (thats the next cheapest part), failing that you would need to order a replacement charger and try that. If you test if quickly and the new charger fails to work you should be able to return it to the place you ordered it for a refund within 14 days of delivery (keep your packaging!)

Other option is to see if you know anyone with a multi-meter and some basic skills to test each component and try to identify the point of failure.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Have you replaced the AC adapter? If this is the second battery in just 2 1/2 years, the culprit is most likely a defective AC adapter providing an incorrect voltage and/or amperage to the battery. This will slowly destroy the battery over time. The first battery leaking and now the brand new replacement battery not properly recharging are both indications of a defective AC adapter.

Solution