My laptop won't connect to my TV anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

glma_engine

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Just recently my TV won't recognize my computer anymore. I have an HP laptop with Windows Vista and an LG TV. When I connect them my TV says it's connecting and then it says no signal. It was working just the other day. The only thing that has changed is that I loaded Clear Connection on my computer for internet, but I don't see how that would change anything on my computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Clear Connection wouldn't create issues for the TV. Try reseating the HDMI cable first and see if that will bring the connection back. HDMI cables can be finicky, and moving the laptop could have jostled the cable.

glma_engine

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I have the TV tuned to the right port. I haven't changed anything from the last time I got it to work. I know the cable works because I used it on another TV. It's like the signal gets interrupted or something because my TV will act like it's about to connect and then it doesn't.

glma_engine

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I also looked at a forum for HP and someone else had my same issue but it didn't have an answer either. Here is what they had, I think they explain it a little better.

"when i have the cord plugged into my computer and my tv and i select duplicate the screen turns black then comes back up with the tv still responding no signal"

That is what keeps happening with mine. My laptop screen will go black like it usually does before it connects and meanwhile my TV says connecting. Then my laptop screen comes back on and my TV says no signal.

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Check your Device Manager to see if any hardware items have issues (yellow exclamation point). I am wondering if the installation of your Clear Connection created an issue with the drivers. While not probable, it is possible....

MickeyJRay

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
I have the EXACT same situation, with the SAME EXACT equipment (HP Laptop and LG TV) I'm at my wit end as my laptop and tv haven't been connected for some time now, but would love to watch movie on DVD right now, and my laptop is the only DVD player I have right now. This may be a job for HP or LG exclusively.

kylemceahern

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

I have the same exact problem but my tv is a sony google tv, but the weird thing is when I hook up to my other tv(not a smart tv) it displays my computer... what the hell is wrong?

hcervenka

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014
I have same problem with a view sonic TV and a Dell computer!! I also want to watch movies!! I have another hdmi cable that turns into a mini hdmi for smartphones aa well as a usb? Should this cable work with computer? ( the hdmi to hdmi cable isn't working anymore with my dvd player as it used to either.) That's why I was thinking it was cord, but if the hdmi to USB cord should work with computer, then it's not that simple. Do I need to change the settings on my computer to recognize the hdmi to USB cord? So I can try to hook up the computer that way? Windows 8. ( I am new to windows 8 and hate it!!)

Taylor Stapleton

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
i have a HP laptop with windows 8.1 and im using a VGA to HDMI cord to extend my computer my my LG Smart TV and the cord is brand new. it doesnt work on my smart tv or the non-smart tv i have in my room.

JJHAND

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

CLICK THIS LINK AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTION,,PROBLEM SOLVED. IT WORKED FOR ME! http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/digital-home/3369195/how-plug-in-laptop-tv-via-hdmi/

NateBlizzard

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
I'm having thew same exact problem. I have a custom built laptop, and a Samsung Smart 3D TV. Ive been using the same 25Ft HDMI Cable for over a year. Just stopped working randomly and I never moved the laptop or changed it's position. I use an Ausus Monitor as my Laptop screen and my desktop Asus screen works fine with all my HDMI cables, only the TV to Laptop Connection reads "No Signal" Ive tried on 3 different HDMI cables. all the same response. While my PS3 works on all the HDMI cables in every port of the TV. So it's the connection between my Windows 8 Laptop that worked for over a year and randomly stopped. I have not installed any programs or made any changes to my laptop. Just stopped working cold Turkey

lexus1

Estimable
Jun 26, 2014
Mate I had the same problem my Dell laptop would not display external monitors. I then when into control panel system and maintenance and into check drivers. Click on display drivers double click and it should tell you if your driver is working properly. My one said it wasn't working properly. So I clicked on the option below to reinstall display driver and windows dud thhs automatically and solved the problem!

ayala777

Estimable
Jul 20, 2014
If you have Nvidia go to the nvidia control panel and press the windows key and p at the same time until you get a extend screen the go to set up multiple screen set up and then you'll see laptop display and your TV (whatever it is) and un check your laptop and wait until the 15 sec begin and close the lid and see if it works. It did for me and click apply if it did. Hope this help you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.