my latop stolen in bus

Solution
Well... unless it had some thief protection.... if the one who stole it might be dumb enough to actually use it and if you have like skype loading with windows I think the police can track the last IP address you were logged from. Although if I steal a laptop im not gonna turn it on straight to windows - instead will first wipe the disk so chances are not in your favor... I guess you will have to rely completely on police for that
Clouds and automatic sync could also help (in case they turn it on)

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
Well... unless it had some thief protection.... if the one who stole it might be dumb enough to actually use it and if you have like skype loading with windows I think the police can track the last IP address you were logged from. Although if I steal a laptop im not gonna turn it on straight to windows - instead will first wipe the disk so chances are not in your favor... I guess you will have to rely completely on police for that
Clouds and automatic sync could also help (in case they turn it on)

Solution

nomadicwarrior

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
It's unlikely you'll ever see it again so chalk it up to experience an get another one. Perhaps you could claim on your insurance if you have some. I hope you had your data backed up somewhere.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

For future reference
If you pre install Prey it may be able to ring home, but if HDD errased Prey will not help

Some Dell laptops (and some other companies) have a BIOS /UEFI with option to run equivalent to Prey which can survive the HDD being erased

https://preyproject.com/

Report to Local Police and ask about about suspicious local shops selling second hand laptops and go for a look round your self

Do you have serial number of laptop (or HDD) ?
(If not difficult to prove ownership after HDD erased)

Finally was it stolen or did you leave it behind on bus,
(if left behind ask bus company if it has been found)

regards

Mike Barnes

Nathan711

Estimable
Sep 26, 2015
If it was stolen, check to see if the bus you rode on has security cameras. I know those are becoming standard now on many transit operators. If they do, see if the police can track down the perp using that footage, but it's a long shot. Sorry to hear about losing your laptop.