Solved! My lenovo yoga (20332) will not turn on after SSD upgrade.

Jun 22, 2021
Hello, so I recently received a laptop (Lenovo Yoga 20332, n3540, 4gb, 500gb hdd) that needed an SSD upgrade. After opening the back cover, I noticed it used a different connector, almost SATA without the power header. The drive was also an ultraslim from WD. After doing a clone to a 250gb SK Hynix SATA ssd, i bought a different cable, which worked with the laptop, and had the full sata connector. After I plugged the SSD in, the button that would turn on the machine did nothing. It also did not show it was getting power. After that, I ordered a new power plug, which did not fix the issue. I do not know if it is the PRAM battery, but it is soldered onto the motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
See if you can verify the charger by trying a different one. Unlikely that is suddenly went bad and the battery was drained at the same time..... Sounds like something got damaged. Dang! Unless someone else has a suggestion it may be time for the repair shop. Laptops are hard for we hobbyists to repair as schematics are hard to obtain,
I little late, but for the benefit of others.... I have had good luck with using crucial.com. It makes it easy to get parts you know are compatible with your laptop. The other issue I like to advise folks is to use the laptop service manual if you take it apart. You can usually find these on line. Since it will no longer boot with the original drive, it would seem either something got zapped or something is not connected properly. Can you get to the BIOS? Do you see anything on the screen when you turn it on?

Jun 22, 2021
I little late, but for the benefit of others.... I have had good luck with using crucial.com. It makes it easy to get parts you know are compatible with your laptop. The other issue I like to advise folks is to use the laptop service manual if you take it apart. You can usually find these on line. Since it will no longer boot with the original drive, it would seem either something got zapped or something is not connected properly. Can you get to the BIOS? Do you see anything on the screen when you turn it on?
No. As I said, it will not turn on. The power button does not light up when I push it. Thank you for the advice.

Sorry--I missed the note about not turning on at all. When you plug in the external charger, on most machines there is a light near the connector that indicates power is connected. Make sure that is illuminated.

If the charger is charging the laptop and it won't turn on, try holding down the power button for 30 seconds (unlikely to help). Then it's back to my comment about either something got zapped or is not connected inside. This is where the service manual is helpful to check things over. If yo u weren't following ESD precautions as described in the service manual, you may have destroyed some part.

Jun 22, 2021
Sorry--I missed the note about not turning on at all. When you plug in the external charger, on most machines there is a light near the connector that indicates power is connected. Make sure that is illuminated.

If the charger is charging the laptop and it won't turn on, try holding down the power button for 30 seconds (unlikely to help). Then it's back to my comment about either something got zapped or is not connected inside. This is where the service manual is helpful to check things over. If yo u weren't following ESD precautions as described in the service manual, you may have destroyed some part.
Thanks. I will try that.

See if you can verify the charger by trying a different one. Unlikely that is suddenly went bad and the battery was drained at the same time..... Sounds like something got damaged. Dang! Unless someone else has a suggestion it may be time for the repair shop. Laptops are hard for we hobbyists to repair as schematics are hard to obtain,

Solution