My mouse pad stopped working and windows 7 wont boot

jaxc1911

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
i have a hp dv6 laptop

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-6156ea-15-6-laptop-steel-grey-10725096-pdt.html

Intel® Core™ i5-2410M (2.3GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
6GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6490M

well my mouse pad stopped working but the keyboard on my laptop worked fine. I turned off the laptop and turned back on but then windows 7 just got stuck on the windows start up glowing animation thing.

so i turned it off and left it for a while then i turned it on again it started up logged in working fine but mouse pad still didnt work so i restarted the laptop and windows gets stuck at the start up screen again. (this cycle has repeated about 3 or 4 times i put it down for a while it starts up with the mouse pad not working i restart its stuck at the starting screen)

safe mode doesnt boot it gets stuck on the text
start up repair goes to a black screen

i thought i should reinstall windows 7 from scratch i put the disc in it boots from the disk it gets stuck on that same screen

any ideas what i should do?

jaxc1911

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
yes all my important documents are backed up

i cant get into safe mode with command prompt. it gets stuck after its loaded classpnp.sys

Classpnp.sys might be a SCSI storage driver. Are you using any type of SCSI device?
It could also be that Classpnp.sys is the LAST driver to load successful and that the next up trying to load (which you can't see) is causing the problem.

I'm thinking this might be more of a OS (Windows 7) issue than just a laptop issue.
Google turns up quite a bit of activity on that type of problem.

But I can't make out 'best answer' type topics. You might have better luck searching.
I saw everything from checking the HDD cable to a MBR (master boot record) repair.

If you want to look around on the HDD and maybe recover move files you can make yourself a bootable LiveCD (or USB thumb drive).
Ubuntu Desktop

nkielstr

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012
I am experiencing a very similar problem. My mousepad would stop working. I found that shutting down and removing the battery and charger and then rebooting would make the mousepad work again. On the last attempt when I tried to boot the system it won't get past the Windows loading screen. In safe mode it gets hung up at classPNP.sys. The worst part is liveCDs won't boot either... so I can't backup my data.

Also I just removed AVG as it was causing my laptop not to boot (getting hung up at an AVG driver). I think i fixed that problem since it booted after I used an AVG rescue CD

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.