My NEW SSD is NOT running like I thought it would.

jimr1354

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I didnt know exactly where to post this so I started here.
I have an older HP Compaq C501NR laptop. It is in excellent condition and was hardly used and it looks like it too. I better list the specs so you know what I have.
It is a Compaq Presario C501NR, The maximum memory is 2gb, cant put any more in it. The processor is a Celeron M430 1.73Ghz. Code name "Yonah". The motherboard is an HP 30C6 with a socket 479 MPCA. Forgot to get the memory speed but everything is stock. It had a 5400 rpm HDD in it and I put a 7200 rpm with 120GB in it instead. I have Comcast internet with a TG1682G router/modem combo with 802.11AC. My internet speed is 60 Mbps.I would like to put a dual band wifi card in this laptop but there isnt one available. This laptop wont recognize, one. I did install a usb dongle with 802.11 "N", but it doesnt make any difference. The laptop has a 10/100 which doesnt help either I suppose. I would get a different laptop if I could find one with a gigabyte 10/100/1000.
Anyway, I decided to get an SSD 128GB. I bought a Kensington. Installation was simple enough. I installed a fresh copy of Win 10 with all the latest updates. PROBLEM?? My HDD was faster than the SSD is!! I have checked everything out and optimized everything and made sure the SSD firmware is current. The drive has NO viruses or malware. I am NOT expecting this upgrade to work miracles, but I dont see much of an improvement in that the drive is faster. I have an idea the processor is the bottle neck?? The drive seems to have such a LAG between doing things even when it changes screens. I dont suppose I can put a faster processor, say like a 2.00Ghz, in it or even OVERCLOCK the current one to 2.00ghz? Is there anything I can do make this laptop a bit more PEPPIER?

Solution
I honestly wouldnt bother spending funds on a system that old, surprised its still running TBH.
Save your money and pick up a second hand/ex-lease Dell unit.

Youve said yourself it wont take over 2GB RAM which is one usual way of speeding things up. Overclocking a laptop like that is generally a "no", replacing CPU generally a "no" as well.
Jul 16, 2018
I honestly wouldnt bother spending funds on a system that old, surprised its still running TBH.
Save your money and pick up a second hand/ex-lease Dell unit.

Youve said yourself it wont take over 2GB RAM which is one usual way of speeding things up. Overclocking a laptop like that is generally a "no", replacing CPU generally a "no" as well.

Solution

jimr1354

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I know its OLD but it was hardly used. In the past, I had one similar to this one only it had a 2.00 Ghz processor and the same amount of ram but one day it wouldnt turn on and that was the end of it. I guess I will have to look around and see if I can find one like you recommend.

Just because a laptop was not used much does not mean it's not slow for modern use. A car from 1930 that was never driven would still be very slow compared to a modern car. Your low RAM and slower CPU are probably the reason you are not seeing an improvement with the solid state drive.

USAFRet

Illustrious
10 year old laptop
Celeron M430 CPU
2GB RAM

It will be slow. No matter what OS, what drive, what internet performance, whatever magic dust you sprinkle on it.
It is an old slow laptop. Period.

I have a similar vintage Toshiba, with a slightly better Celeron 2.2GHz CPU and 2GB RAM. Running Windows 10.
It is slow. It was slow before with Win 8.1. It was slow with Win 7.
It was slow when it came out of the box.

jimr1354

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I want to thank everyone that answered my question on this site.
I took the SSD out of the laptop and reinstalled the 7200 rpm HDD and did a fresh install of Win 7. The laptop runs very smooth and it is FASTER than the SSD running Win 10. I will just use this as a spare and look around for a newer laptop.

Oct 15, 2018

No matter which solid state drive, like Samsung, SanDisk, Kingston SSD or other famous one, you are using on Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 or 10 system-based computers, here are some highly-recommended tricks you can try to fix “SSD running slow”.

Ensure your SATA controller runs in AHCI mode
    Make sure TRIM is running
    Avoid Disk Defragmentation
    Verify Hibernation is disabled
    Enable Write Caching for SSD
    Make sure the SSD partition is aligned:partition alignment is a new concept of SSD. It is of great importance for improving the SSD writing and reading data speed. So if the partitions are not aligned, your SSD will become slow in performance.