Solved! My old pair of headphones works fine on my laptop and a new pair sounds bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2020
I just bought a new pair of headphones, and noticed that they did not work on my laptop. They worked fine on my phone, but when connected to a laptop, the audio sounds weird. I tried messing with some audio options and when i turn audio balancing off in the left ear it works better. The more i try to balance it so it would work good, the quieter the audio gets. I've tried a lot of online tutorials but none have worked. Are there any settings or ways i can fix my audio?

Solution
I just bought a new pair of headphones, and noticed that they did not work on my laptop. They worked fine on my phone, but when connected to a laptop, the audio sounds weird. I tried messing with some audio options and when i turn audio balancing off in the left ear it works better. The more i try to balance it so it would work good, the quieter the audio gets. I've tried a lot of online tutorials but none have worked. Are there any settings or ways i can fix my audio?

Test the headphones on another computer, test another set of headphones on yours, do they all work fine then? If you sound gets lower as you swap the balance left to right it may be that the headphone jack on your laptop has an issue and as you move to the side...
It used to be (long ago before computers) that you had to pay attention to the impedance of the headphones. That has to do with how well the headphones mate up with the amplifier inside the PC that drives them. I see headphones seem to no longer spec impedance, but serious mismatches would lead to distortion. I doubt that is happening, but as I said, I'm not that familiar with those issues. I do fine with an old pair of cheapie headphones. Sorry I can't be more help.

Test the headphones on another computer, test another set of headphones on yours, do they all work fine then? If you sound gets lower as you swap the balance left to right it may be that the headphone jack on your laptop has an issue and as you move to the side that is faulty the sound cuts out. Good idea to also check for a newer BIOS and sound drivers from the laptop vendor site.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.