My Print Screen(PrtScr button) always printing different screenshots ...

Raijin_

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015
as the title says ...
whenever i print screen something ... the picture is somewhat taking the past event ..
example ..
i took the shot in 5:45 pm .. then the result of the screenshot is from 5:40 or something like that ...

its delay/ late ..

which is really weird ..

i also dont know where to put this thread but please help me ...
T_T

Solution
its not broken, its just getting old. How old are the drives?

we all slow down when we get old

better to discover they breaking before they do, this way you can recover info off them without losing any.

Colif

Distinguished
Historically, screen shots were stored in clipboard when you hit print screen. In older versions of windows, if you had several photos in the clipboard it would show them so you could select one. the print screen button itself doesn't print them, it just captures them (which makes me think button has the wrong name but I newer thought about it before now)

Up until just pressing the print screen 5 minutes ago, I had always used to use the paint to save the screen shot, and paste button to get them off clipboard.

Now I see Onedrive can save the screen shot as soon as you press button...

Is it the right photo though, does it just have the wrong time on it?

Raijin_

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015
the photo itself are wrong ..
even i press the prtsrc button 10x .. the result is always the past ...
example .. (a video)
the dog is running .. 50 meters
i took the screenshot when he stopped..
and the screenshot result is his still running (40 meters)

the screenshot result is always the backtrack ..
sorry im not good in english T_T

Colif

Distinguished
That is just strange, I can find how to delay the photo so that it happens after you press button, but not before. And you have to use the snipping tool to get that, and its only 5 seconds I think anyway...

I don't understand how the pc could even do that, its like it knows you want the shot and just captures them constantly just in case you press key.

Is this a particular program? or everywhere?

what version of windows?

Raijin_

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015
im not using any tool . im using the normal PrtScr button

oh ya .. only on some games .. like dota 2 and tomb raider ..
i also notice that ... whenever i alt tab .. the screenshot result will be altered .. as the statement above ..

im using window 7 ultimate..

EDIT :
the screenshot will be altered .. when i upload it straight in instance .. like facebook and imgur ...
the result in paint are also normal ..

Colif

Distinguished
are you running something like shadowplay mode on an Nvidia card? its like your screen buffer is several seconds behind

i can't see any other way to get shots of previous events.

if you were getting screen shots 1 week in advance, imagine all the lottery wins you could get...

what are specs of machine?

Raijin_

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015
i dont have any idea about that shadowplay .. im using nvidia card ..
i posted a same question in other forum a month ago .. and they said its about my monitor .. coz its buffer several seconds behind .. so i bought a new monitor samsung syncmaster .. but the problem still persist ..

how can i know if im running shadow play ? i might accidentally running it :v

gtx 560
4 gb ram
hdd 512 gb hitachi
hdd 250 gb hitachi
amd athlon II 245
my rig sucks .. but ... i thinks its not the problem .-.

Colif

Distinguished
no, your card can't run shadow play so its not it.

Its a buffer of some sort but I don't think its the screen buffer, they wouldn't hold that much information about events that happened before, i thought they would be constantly emptying what little ram they had to accept data about whats happening next.

i don't think a screen shot is taking the data from a screen, I think it takes it direct from the card. Not sure I agree with it being your old or even new screen. I don't think monitor can send a signal like that back to pc - it seems the long way around. if pc creates image, why would it send it out and then copy it?

Still trying to figure it out.

Raijin_

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015
so the problem might be in my card ? :v

sometimes the screenshot is ok .. but most of the time its not ..
i think when i take a screenshot .. on games .. the screenshot is always .. like that ..
specially on games running fullscreen or borderless full screen

Colif

Distinguished
i don't know enough about how it all works to make a judgement on your card, it wouldn't have the ram to store a screen shot and be running the screen at same time, I think its your pc somehow... i am curious how screenshots are created and where the data is stored that is used to make the screenshot.

Since your graphics card only has 1gb of ram, I think it might also use system ram to store some of its buffer, and since I assume you have 32 bit windows, it doesn't have a lot of space to both run game and windows at same time so might be using your page file (which is on hdd) to store some stuff. So the buffer may be on your drives and they aren't anywhere near the fastest thing on any computer. that could help account for the time delay.

but I am speculating as I don't know how it all works

Colif

Distinguished
okay, 64gb gives you a little more ram back to play with. and moves graphics memory out of the ram pool.. still doesn't help explain this.

you could try updating drivers using a program like driver booster. it might fix it... try defragging hdd as well.. you never know.

its such an odd thing I am not sure how to approach it.

Colif

Distinguished
The information to be displayed on the screen is held in a special buffer called the screen buffer or frame buffer. The data to be displayed on the screen at that instant is held in the frame buffer and it is called the raster. Frame buffer is a hardware device that is part of the Graphics card and is sometimes memory mapped to the CPU address space. But with dedicated graphics cards, graphics acceleration is supported and this minimizes the CPU required to fill the frame buffer. They have a dedicated GPU that performs this operation. Modern GPUs are very specialized for these operations and are faster than the CPU + can perform more operations per second than a CPU can..

A raster is a grid of data which contains the color information for each pixel on the screen.

it might be your card but i still don't understand why the images are from the past

Colif

Distinguished
Frame buffer shows everything on screen now, so I doubt it has enough space to do that and somehow have the old image from a few minutes before still, just in case you want it. iI am leaning towards it being the CPU though I can't prove it, its just it has lots more resources lying around to save the wrong image somewhere... how to fix? I really don't know.

see if this helps. Open a command prompt with admin rights
type SFC /scannow and press enter
it will just scan windows and see if its okay.

http://www.wikihow.com/Open-the-Command-Prompt-in-Windows

Colif

Distinguished
one thing that might fix it is buy more ram, if your hdd scores are fine then buying more ram might reduce your pc's need to even use the page file. Ram is way faster than hdd ever is, and 8gb is better on 64 than 4gb.