My speakers make a popping sound. Please help me fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hi,

a couple of months ago, I bought myself the following 2.1 speaker system:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/speaker-system-z323

They worked fine the whole time until one day, when they just wouldn't turn on anymore. So I sent them back and got a replacement. But now I have a really weird problem with this new system:

When I turn the system off, the speakers continuously emit a popping sound every couple of seconds. Turning them off and on again doesn't help and they do it indefinitely (at least they were still doing it after 5 minutes^^). When I unplug them from the back of my PC and plug them right back in, the popping is gone and they work as intended. When I then turn them off and on again, the popping is back and I have to re-unplug and plug them to make it go away. So everytime I turn my speakers on, I have to unplug them for a second, or else they will pop all the time.

The speakers are standing freely on my desk, touching nothing else. The cables are hanging loosely behind the desk at the wall. The subwoofer is under my desk on the floor, also touching nothing else.

Should I just send them back again and hope the next system will be fine again, or is there something wrong with my PC somehow? I hope that there is a quick-fix I can do myself, because sending them back and waiting for a new system takes about a month and I don't want to have no sound for a month lol.

I will be grateful for any help :)

nikorr

Distinguished
Hi there,

Try this.

Follow the procedure below to troubleshoot this issue.

Turn off the stereo receiver.

Ensure the speaker wires are properly connected to both the speakers and stereo receiver.

Turn off any nearby electronic devices that may be interfering with the speaker sound.

Move the speaker wires away from any electrical cords.

If the issue is still unresolved, reset the receiver to the factory default settings.

NOTE: Consult the instruction manual of the stereo receiver for reset instructions.

Try replacing the speaker wires.

If possible, connect a different set of speakers.

NOTE: If the problem is eliminated when different speakers are connected, the issue is with the original speakers. If the problem is not eliminated, then the problem is with the receiver.

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hey,

just tried everything you said and it didn't help :(

The only way of getting rid of the popping sound is unplugging them from the back of my PC and plugging them back in.

I do have another pair of speakers lying around somewhere, so I will search for these and try it out with them and see if they have the same issue, but I think it has something to do with the speakers and not my PC, because I have never had this problem with other speakers (or the same model of speakers :D) before.

I will also try the front jack on my PC to see if they make the same popping sound when connected there and will post here again then.

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Tested some things and here are my results:

When the speakers are turned on for the first time, after having started my PC, they constantly pop. Twisting or wiggling the cables/plug around doesn't help. When I turn them off then, plug them out and back in, and then turn them on, the still pop. When I leave them on, plug them out and back in, the popping is gone. When I turn them off, restart my PC and then turn them on again, they pop again. If I leave them on while restarting, they don't pop.

Tried with different speakers (just 2 plain speakers, no 2.1 system) and didn't have any popping. Restarted my PC several times, but nothing. With the 2.1 system I get popping without exception -.-

I totally forgot about the trying the front jack on my PC, so I will do that now. Also I will try the speaker system on another PC, but that will probably have to wait until tomorrow, because I don't just have a spare PC lying around :D.

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Yup, the speakers also pop when plugged into the fron jack or into another PC so they're somehow broken. Still can't figure out what the problem is and why it goes away after replugging while turned on.

Guess I'll just send them in and get a new pair -.-

Ears14U

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

I know this is pretty much common sense but I had the same problem with the popping from just 1 speaker. And I found that the interference was coming from the computer "monitor". So I relocated them and it quit. Sometimes it comes from the simple fact that the manufacturer of the audio speakers don't use high quality (thickness) wiring to shield them from other electronic sources. And yes that usual "cheap" shielding comes from CHINA...HA! Go figure...

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

Yea, I thought of interference from something too at first, but the fact that the popping goes away after plugging the speakers out and in again kind of rules that out. When I move my cellphone close to the speakers (while popping and also while not), they make a high-pitched squealing noise lol. And it has nothing to do with my monitor either, tried moving them far away from them and it changes nothing. But I've already sent them in now, so I'm just hoping now that the next pair isn't screwed either^^.

Joe VanForte

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Had the same problem, ended up being the air purifier in my office. The air purifier has an ionizer option (puts out negative ions). When that button was pushed I would get popping and crackling from the PC speakers. Tried everything else -- moving things around, unplugging/replugging speakers, turning off extra peripherals -- nothing helped until finally I thought to turn off the ion generator. The problem instantly went away. Turn it back on, popping comes back. Note that the air purifier itself isn't the problem, I can have it running at any speed, oscillate mode, UV light, everything else, but as soon as I turn on the ionizer option the PC speakers go crazy. And I thought negative ions were supposed to soothe and comfort us....

G

I have the almost the same system from Logitech (X-230) and I did the following: plug the AC into a filtered UPS, I installed a ferrite filter loop on the AC cable to filter any parasitic noise, I changed the audio and jack from the PC to the small speaker and I also installed a ferrite filter right at the entrance into the speaker. All to no avail. Now I have 2 filters, high quality cable and 3.5" jack. I also tried leaving the jack out of the sound card and the popping and cracking sound does not go away. So I think I will have to send them for repairs, it might be some defective component either in the sub-woofer board or in the small speaker where the ON/OFF and volume buttons are. I also tried to cut the bass completely and I had cracking sounds in the small speakers.
RMA if they are still under warranty, mine are not :-(

Justin Waters

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015

If you replace your sound card your problem will go away.

Though I recommend trying one thing before then.

Uninstall your audio driver from device manager > Restart your computer > Download & Install drivers from manufacture's site > Restart and see if the problem persists. If so then it is a bad sound card.

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

I sure hope you realize that this thread has been dead for over two years....

Samoht_1

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

I've had this same anomaly I started thinking my house was haunted when I'd forget to turn off speakers before bed and at 3 am ish get a high pitch scream through the house

Status
Not open for further replies.