My Toshiba laptop goes from logo screen to a black screen then remains blue with a cursor

Terri_6

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
I have a Toshiba satellite - with windows 8. It occurred while trying to mirror the laptop to a tv (which I have done before) firstly it would not mirror and so I kept left clicking to enter resolution options and then all of a sudden it went blue. I was no longer able to do anything to this at all. I have tried turning off and on, taking battery out. I have read lots of other threads, but nothing really answers this. I can't open in safe mode as I can't even enter any commands. I have tried F8 F11 and all the other possible things I have read. It just looks at me with a blue screen and a cursor. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by connecting an external monitor into your laptop since the laptop screen might have been set as the 2nd screen as it was on a Extended Display mode.
- If you'll see the main desktop onto your external display press the Windows key + P at the same time and select "Computer Only or Disconnect Projector".
- Or in your keyboard there should be a shortcut on how to enable/disable the 2nd screen. (fn+ the function key.)
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by connecting an external monitor into your laptop since the laptop screen might have been set as the 2nd screen as it was on a Extended Display mode.
- If you'll see the main desktop onto your external display press the Windows key + P at the same time and select "Computer Only or Disconnect Projector".
- Or in your keyboard there should be a shortcut on how to enable/disable the 2nd screen. (fn+ the function key.)

Solution

Terri_6

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

Hi. I connected it back to my TV and unfortunately the screen is blue on that as well and the screen on the laptop becomes black. When you say the laptop function key - I have tried that and it doesn't work. Thanks for trying to help.

Terri_6

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

Hello again - when I went back to the laptop after rep[lying to your message - the options to change the display had appeared and I was able to turn of the extension to the second screen. The laptop is now good as new. Thank you so much!