Solved! My Toshiba Portege laptop is running slow after windows updates

Feb 23, 2021
Hi.
I have a Toshiba Portege laptop ( intel core i5, 8gb RAM, 255 SDD) about 3-4years old. Recently i find the laptop running very slow .. infact sometimes lags .. this is especially after the windows updates … Further Yahoo does not work properly on this … cannot really use Yahoo mails etc as it is very very slow.
The It guy has also formatted the laptop once.. but even then no difference.
Can anyone please help .. to diagnose what’s the problem and what could be the solution.
Thanks.

Solution
Install CrystalDiskInfo and look at the test results for your SSD. See if you can find Toshiba diagnostic software for your laptop and run that. There is no need to reinstall Windows again if the IT guy actually deleted everything and reinstalled Windows. Run task manager as an administrator, click on More Details (if you don't see much) and the performance tab,. Select the different choices on the left (CPU, memory, ect) and see if anything looks peculiar. I doubt that will help, but it's worth a shot. Do this while you are running some of the slow operations you experience.
How filled is your drive? You said even after a clean Windows setup there was no change so it's not Windows updates unless it was running fine before that.

What is slow exactly? Is it slow online, slow to open programs, slow to load Windows? Need some details.

The base specs are fine to run Windows and normal use programs without issues. If you have issues with Yahoo services, did you check your internet connection speed? You said something about an "The IT guy" so if they worked on this did you check why it may be slow with them since they had the system in their hands to test?

What do you mean by "formatted the laptop"? My own solution to the issue of my PC getting slow is to reinstall Windows. I do this every couple of years of so. It generally makes a significant difference. It's a pain as you need to backup all your data and make sure you have the means to reinstall all your software. In very rare cases, a hardware problem can lead to slow performance,

Feb 23, 2021
How filled is your drive? You said even after a clean Windows setup there was no change so it's not Windows updates unless it was running fine before that.

What is slow exactly? Is it slow online, slow to open programs, slow to load Windows? Need some details.

The base specs are fine to run Windows and normal use programs without issues. If you have issues with Yahoo services, did you check your internet connection speed? You said something about an "The IT guy" so if they worked on this did you check why it may be slow with them since they had the system in their hands to test?

Hi .. Thanks for your reply.
The Drive is half empty .. not very loaded.
Slow means - Slow online, slow to open programs, very slow to run yahoo - open/read, compose, reply mails, slow to use any programs ...
Yes I also checked internet speed (2-3 locations) which is good .. as other systems with less config are working great on the same internet ..
The IT guy did reload the windows, cleaned the hard drive by formatting the drive and reloading the programs.

Feb 23, 2021
What do you mean by "formatted the laptop"? My own solution to the issue of my PC getting slow is to reinstall Windows. I do this every couple of years of so. It generally makes a significant difference. It's a pain as you need to backup all your data and make sure you have the means to reinstall all your software. In very rare cases, a hardware problem can lead to slow performance,

Thanks.
Formatted means - cleared the disk, taken back ups, and re-install all the programs. windows and data back .. something like clean up ...
Windows updates is also on and regular updates taken ..
do you suggest to reinstall windows once again ..?
Will changing the SDD help ..?

Install CrystalDiskInfo and look at the test results for your SSD. See if you can find Toshiba diagnostic software for your laptop and run that. There is no need to reinstall Windows again if the IT guy actually deleted everything and reinstalled Windows. Run task manager as an administrator, click on More Details (if you don't see much) and the performance tab,. Select the different choices on the left (CPU, memory, ect) and see if anything looks peculiar. I doubt that will help, but it's worth a shot. Do this while you are running some of the slow operations you experience.

Solution