My toshiba satellite C55-A screen wont turn on, broken hinge.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
My toshiba satellite C55-A laptop has a broken hinge, and today the screen wouldn't come on. The computer still runs, but has a black screen. I had this issue before and i just moved the cord to the screen slightly and it came back on. But that didnt work this time. Is there a way i can fix this?
Heres some pictures.

Solution
A broken LCD will have dark crack lines if you hold it up to the sun (that would involve removing the LCD and separating it from the backlight (not a good idea)) It could be a damaged PCB on the LCD side as well in which case a new LCD assembly would be needed. The problem is, there are a bunch of possibilities, and none of them besides the cable are readily fixed.

There is also a chance that you could get a new monitor assembly, but those can often run in the $50+ range, which is likely not worth the trouble.

As for the external monitor not working, that sort of makes me think it is an internal video adapter board or section of the motherboard with the problem, as that would explain how you either have video or you do not.

I...

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
That is the LCD cable, it is likely pulled out on either end (monitor or motherboard). I just dealt with an Asus G53SX that had the same issue, depending on how the laptop was made, getting it all open can be an absolute nightmare. you might want to order a new cable as well if you plan to open it all up yourself it is likely very cheap. (mine was $5 on ebay)

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
I figured out how to get the back of the bottom on the laptop, that was easy. I just have no clue how to remove the cover behind the screen without snapping anything. When I looked at the bottom part I didn't notice any cables disconnected from the motherboard. So if someone comes around and knows how to take it apart that would be great.
Also, what do I search for on ebay? Internal monitor cable didn't really work.

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-LED-LVDS-VIDEO-SCREEN-CABLE-FOR-Toshiba-Satellite-C55-A5286-C55-A5298-/231649515307?hash=item35ef63172b:g:jLoAAOSw~gRVyHKU
I would search Toshiba Satellite C55-A LCD Cable

It may very well be loose on the LCD/monitor side, that is where it was loose on the Asus laptop I dealt with.

If you do it yourself, just take your time, and make sure you document where the screws go. you will likely have to open up the monitor housing, youtube should have a video on opening up that specific laptop model.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

I checked the bottom again and all the cables are good. The top part of the cable i unpluged and pluged back in, and still nothing. Maybe the cable itself is broken.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
I ordered the cable, its not arriving until like 10 days though. Hopefully that fixes it, then i can fix the hinge (can i glue it?). If i do all this and it turns out I cracked the screen from taking it apart so many times im going to be kicking myself. Crossing my fingers. Thank you for your help.

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
Hinges breaking on laptops is often either the screws failing (replace the screws) or the mount breaking. If it broke, then hitting it with some metal bonding epoxy or JB weld (for metal) might be a decent fix, but if you put it it the wrong spaces that laptop will not close again.

I too hope the screen is okay, that is something I fear on every laptop.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
I recieved my cable today and I put it in but still no screen. The cables are in the right places, nothing other than the hinges appear to be broken. So now what? I was going to order new hinges and replace them but I want to get the screen working first.
What else can I try?

Here's a picture.
The silver cable for the screen is plugged into the motherboard but unplugged from the screen so I could take the pic. The other end of the cable just goes to the screen and to the webcam.

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
It could be the socket that the cable plugs into is damaged, if that is the case then it could require a new motherboard /daughter board (if your laptop has a separate display PCB (but then that also could be where a bad connection is)).

Also is the power cord known to be good?

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

The power cord is good, its newer than the laptop. If it's the motherboard there's no way I can replace it myself and the cost to pay someone wouldn't be worth it. The crappy netbook my sister had as a tween was better built than this thing, ironically also a toshiba.
One things for sure ill never to buy another toshiba computer, im not even sure this one is worth it for the small amount of money i payed for it. Ah well. If i bought this thing new (i think it was somewhere between 300$-500$), I would be so pissed, but thankfully i only payed 30$ for it used, so its not a big loss.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
I ordered another cable just in case the one I got was defective, crossing my fingers again!
Also the lcd doesn't look visibly broken, is there some kind of way i can tell if I accidentally squished/cracked it without it being on?
I also need help trying to figure out how i can plug the laptop into an external screen. For some reason if the screen works, i can plug it into an external monitor, but if the screen doesn't work i cant connect it to an external monitor. Ive hit every function key and Ive tried multiple monitors, even a tv. Any ideas?

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
A broken LCD will have dark crack lines if you hold it up to the sun (that would involve removing the LCD and separating it from the backlight (not a good idea)) It could be a damaged PCB on the LCD side as well in which case a new LCD assembly would be needed. The problem is, there are a bunch of possibilities, and none of them besides the cable are readily fixed.

There is also a chance that you could get a new monitor assembly, but those can often run in the $50+ range, which is likely not worth the trouble.

As for the external monitor not working, that sort of makes me think it is an internal video adapter board or section of the motherboard with the problem, as that would explain how you either have video or you do not.

I honestly cannot be too certain about any of these. They all might just end up being a waste of time and money.

Solution
Mar 27, 2018
Aware that this thread is old, another solution if you believe it to be a failure of your on-board graphics would be cooking your MB in an attempt to reflow the in board connections. Look up reflow in your household oven.