Nagra Ares BB?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hello,

I'm going to do location sound for a students production (DV), and the
kit is expected to include shotgun, boom and a Nagra Ares BB recorder.
Since this is the first time I'll be working with the BB and have heard
very little about it, I'd like to hear your input on it for narrative
video works.
Most importantly, from what I've read
(http://www.nagraaudio.com/files/AresBbSep2004.pdf) its level controls
are two rubber buttons. How's one supposed to do decent levels without
a fader??
It seems to me that no one can ever use a BB without an attached field
mixer. I just want to be sure about this, before insisting to the
producer that we obtain one.

Thanks in advance,
Drew Lahat
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <1113761527.157606.118180@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> drorworld@yahoo.com writes:

> Since this is the first time I'll be working with the BB and have heard
> very little about it, I'd like to hear your input on it for narrative
> video works.

This probably ins't the best newsgroup to find anyone who has used an
Ares extensively. You might want to look over in the film production
newsgroups.

> Most importantly, from what I've read
> its level controls
> are two rubber buttons. How's one supposed to do decent levels without
> a fader??
> It seems to me that no one can ever use a BB without an attached field
> mixer.

You can't really ride the gain very well with just up/down buttons,
which is probalby why you'd want an outboard mixer with real knobs.
Set the recorder input level (with the buttons) to match the nominal
output level of the mixer, allowing for sufficient digital headroom,
and if you have to ride gain, use the knob or slider on the mixer.



--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 17 Apr 2005 11:12:07 -0700, in rec.audio.pro "Binba"
<drorworld@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm going to do location sound for a students production (DV), and the
>kit is expected to include shotgun, boom and a Nagra Ares BB recorder.
>Since this is the first time I'll be working with the BB and have heard
>very little about it, I'd like to hear your input on it for narrative
>video works.
>Most importantly, from what I've read
>(http://www.nagraaudio.com/files/AresBbSep2004.pdf) its level controls
>are two rubber buttons. How's one supposed to do decent levels without
>a fader??
>It seems to me that no one can ever use a BB without an attached field
>mixer. I just want to be sure about this, before insisting to the
>producer that we obtain one.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Drew Lahat
try posting on
rec.arts.movies.production.sound




martin

After the first death, there is no other.
(Dylan Thomas)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <znr1113772550k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>In article <1113761527.157606.118180@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> drorworld@yahoo.com writes:
>
>> Since this is the first time I'll be working with the BB and have heard
>> very little about it, I'd like to hear your input on it for narrative
>> video works.
>
>This probably ins't the best newsgroup to find anyone who has used an
>Ares extensively. You might want to look over in the film production
>newsgroups.

Is the ARES intended for film production? Looking at it at the last AES
show, it felt more like something intended for high-end broadcast use.

If it really is intended for film work, r.a.m.p.s is the place to go.
For high end broadcast stuff, I have honestly no clue because that's a
market that basically doesn't exist in the US.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <d3v5ir$31u$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:

> Is the ARES intended for film production? Looking at it at the last AES
> show, it felt more like something intended for high-end broadcast use.
>
> If it really is intended for film work, r.a.m.p.s is the place to go.

I only suggested that because that's where more people who use Nagras
hang out. I actually couldn't figure out why anyone would want one of
these, but perhaps that's as you say - no "high end broadcast"
applications here.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Audio 3
G Audio 1
G Audio 7

ASK THE COMMUNITY