NASA Bombs the Moon and Finds Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
A bit late on this article guys.

Still, I think it's a step in the right direction and future more invasive testing looks promising.

On another note: Well known skeptic disagress. More at eleven.

G

Amazing, though I agree with the skeptic.
The percentage water/dust will probably be so low, that it's nearly a fulltime job digging for water, while here (on earth) it comes for free.

I'm sure a moonbase is better than a space station, but still nothing comes close to mother earth!

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Next up for NASA: Bomb, er, huh "crash" a rocket into the moon in search of oil.

Soon followed by [strike]Iran[/strike], [strike]Russia[/strike], [strike]UK[/strike], [strike]Canada[/strike] everyone else.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Manned space missions with 20-21st century technology are a waste of resources and serve little to anything but national pride. I'd rather have those billions fund education, housing, and health care. But, hey... the destitute should be proud, as Americans, to know we're going back to the Moon. I bet the view looks great from a cardboard box.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]It's the beginning of building a colony on the moon for when world ends on Dec 21, 2012[/citation]

That myth is actually for Dec 12th 2012 (12/12/12)

I think the more we know about the universe, the more we have to gain from it, and the less we have to lose. Considering future events and in the case of a disaster.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Education, healthcare, and housing will only perpetuate overpopulation thejerk. Then what will you do when there's no spaceflight or colonies?

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Now this means we can fully sustain a station on the moon indefinately. We have helium 3 for fuel and water, plenty of sun shine for plant life (inside of course). Good first step. Now they only have to figure out a space elevator to move the equipment to space more efficiently.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
They said in scifi-show why we must go to space. "Our sun will eventually run out of fuel, it may take a while, but one day it will blow up" I hope that in that day, we are not still baggering if it would be usefull to try some space travelling...

But yeah it's not our problem, it is our childrens, childrens in many generations. Why think about them when we can have it all just now...

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ckthecerealkiller[/nom]That myth is actually for Dec 12th 2012 (12/12/12)[/citation]
No, he was right. Mayan calendar ends on Dec 21st 2012. Google it.

Anyway, Mr. Park does have a point. Sure, knowing about a bunch of condensation on the moon is cool, but really doesn't help us in any way. It's like morning dew on dirt - you can't exactly go out and fill a glass of water.

septagent

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Like tester, I believe the main purpose behind all of this is not to prove that we can have a colony on the moon, or live there, but to establish a place to mine Helium 3. Finding water on the moon has made that a much greater possibility. With Helium 3, nuclear energy can be used many times more efficiently, and those who thejerk wants to give housing, food and healthcare to will have a much brighter future to live for.

http://www.wired.com/science/space/news/2006/12/72276

We're talking about replacing fossil fuels here. Who doesn't want that?

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I find the use of the money that goes to NASA more important than giving money away to lazy people who don't want to work, keep delinquent kids in school who don’t want to learn, pouring billions to banks and investment firms that have corrupt business practices and screw the same taxpayers that bailed them out.... yeah let’s keep doing that and see where it gets us...

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]No, he was right. Mayan calendar ends on Dec 21st 2012. Google it.[/citation]
The 13th b'ak'tun ends. The world doesn't. After that date the calendar starts a new b'ak'tun (144,000 day) cycle in the long-count. Completely such a cycle was supposed to be a celebration and had no protends of doom attached to it until some New Age movements decided they could cash in on it and glued a bunch of bullshit "prophecy" to the date. Mayans didn't think time was going to run out anytime soon. When you think about it the whole idea is as absurd as someone fearing the end of the current month and thinking that the world will end when the current of their calendar page does.

Anyway, Mr. Park does have a point. Sure, knowing about a bunch of condensation on the moon is cool, but really doesn't help us in any way. It's like morning dew on dirt - you can't exactly go out and fill a glass of water.
It's not for drinking, it can be harvested and split into rocket fuel. You could even automate the whole process of extracting the ice from the dust, since water has such a low vaporization point compared to rock dust.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]No, he was right. Mayan calendar ends on Dec 21st 2012. Google it.Anyway, Mr. Park does have a point. Sure, knowing about a bunch of condensation on the moon is cool, but really doesn't help us in any way. It's like morning dew on dirt - you can't exactly go out and fill a glass of water.[/citation]

My calendar ends on Dec 31. 2009. OH NOES! THE WORLD IS GOING END IN 45 DAYS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.