NASA Launching Spacecraft Into the Sun

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]samadkins29[/nom]NASA is such a waste of money, why do we waste money on things that are irrelevant, when we cant even figure out how to live properly here on earth.....[/citation]
No doubt, why does anyone ever both with science and invention anyways? Caves and stone tools are where its at. Imagine how many animal pelts we could have if we hadn't wasted our time discovering things like fire.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]But can the Solar Probe Plus play Crysis?[/citation]
You do realize that one of the forum rules on Tom's is that you can't post 'blah blah... play Crysis?' anymore.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is very interesting science. Imagine gaining an understanding of how the solar winds work and being able to translate that knowledge into power generation technologies or for vast improvements/advancements in space travel. We should always, as a people, be learning or we are doomed. 'Nuf said.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
nasa spends too much time planning for the future, plans for 6 years down the line arent that helpful, we will have better tech by then and what you plan to send up wont be that good anymore.

Cons29

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
interesting, but didn't pres obama just pushed with that economic stimulus thingy?
is it really the right time to spend millions of dollars on this project? i mean the aim is good but im not sure about the timing. but thats just me

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
more wasteful spending, letting old satellites crash into the earth and then spending 30million+ on a special satellite just so they can crash it into the moon/mars and now the sun. granted this one will be slightly different as they are hoping it won't melt before i gets to do it's job. just watch i bet hubble has all the necessary instruments on it and they just crash it into the earth instead. i hope a solar flare takes the thing out. a better idea would just be to load 30 million onto an old ICBM warhead and all and dispose of it in the sun since pissing money away by burnign it is cool.

acidrain2

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Ok so if we go at night, we would have to get there before daybreak. That gives us about 8 hours of dark. :)

But seriously Fahrenheit? 2700 Degrees Bullcrap = 1500 Celcius which is about the melting point of iron and 15 times the boiling point of water. What tempearature does bullcrap boil at? 1 Bullcrap = 17 Pidgeon droppings which is apparently very very very cold. I think.

Also, the sun surface is around 5500C (about 9940 Bullcraps, can you imagine that much crap? No me neither.) but the corona of the sun is one to three million C, so unless we invent deflector shields from star trek we can go near it. I like the 100miles comment. A 100 miles (160km) in terms of the sun is nothing. We won't be able to go closer than millions kilometers of the blerry thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.