Solved! Help me find a Gaming laptop (budget 1200 usd?) or convince me to get a pc if the roaches wont destroy it.

Nov 11, 2018
Two options: PC or Laptop.

What I want: Run new gen games at decent settings (witcher 3, nier automata, final fantasy, heavily modded games etc)
Light animation and video editing. Some graphic design. Mostly Autodesk Maya/Adobe Creative Suite.
Portable-ish. It can be a total brick I don't care if its 10 pounds that's not heavy for me. I only need to move it around to keep the roaches out. (No I can't move out of this ghetto apartment yet and no I can't get rid of the bugs, and yes I've heard every "bug" tech joke haha).
Something I can hide. Because if people break into my apartment to rob me I can just chuck my laptop into the safe. Can I do that with the tower? I don't know do they make small towers with decent cable management?
Wifi capabilities.

What I don't care about: The screen. I have an external monitor that I'm currently using for my current dying laptop. PSA don't buy from cyberpowerpc.
The sound. As long as I can pair some bluetooth headphones or plug some in with it I'm happy.
The track pad. I have an external mouse because who games with a mousepad???
The keyboard. Also external.
The weight/screen size. It can be heavy. I just need to be able to move it.
G-sync? I mean the screen i have now has free sync which I know doesn't really work with the nvidia cards or so i've read. It's doing fine with the above mentioned games (my current laptop has a 965m)

PC - Will usually always be more powerful for the same price (at least that's what I keep reading), but that's only if I build it myself which I don't want to do. I'd like a warranty I don't think those come with self built PC's. I DO love the idea of being able to upgrade it myself though. If there are any websites for pre-built pcs that give you some part-picking freedom and have a warranty please send them my way.

Laptop - Best Buy warranty is tempting for 3 years because that would have saved this laptop I currently have which is totally usable, but the replacement parts are nonexistent. Also I just don't know if I trust Best Buy in general. I'm sick of replacing laptops every 4 years because I do use them a lot. At least once every day because of the work that I do/school. Something I can upgrade would be nice I know that may be difficult to ask for in a laptop.

My main concern right now is longevity/reliability and keeping the roaches out. Its much easier to do with my current laptop. I've covered the holes with stretched out panty hose and it hasn't overheated so idk if there's enough pantyhose to cover a tower??? Do towers have bug meshes on them? Are there mini lighter towers (10-15 pounds) that I can just move around to avoid the bugs getting in? Suspended towers? That kind of sounds dangerous I'd hate for it to fall, but they've stayed away from my laptop so far because I have it on a stand. I've been very careful about not eating near it, but they're attracted to the heat.

Thank you very much for helping out and reading about my problem!

R_1

Estimable
Herald
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360N WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Windforce OC Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix - Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($86.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1071.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-11 01:38 EST-0500

as to the bug proofing you can use double sided tape (3m or loctite - the good stuff) around all openings (side panel mesh, top panel mesh, etc) and stretched nylon fabric. frame the opening with the tape, stretch the fabric and apply to the adhesive, then another layer of tape to secure the nylon between the adhesive plates. can be done on the inside or the outside of the case.
any other small openings can be sealed with rope caulk.
IDK the size of the safe you have but the large size compared to the laptop rewards with increased performance.

Solution
Nov 11, 2018

Thanks for the build, since I don't know much about building PC's I'm unsure how to tell what goes where. Are there any other cases like the BitFenix, but stronger? I keep reading about the handles breaking and it being hard to clean because of bad cable management. I tried googling for some, but many of them don't have an HDMI port which I need for my monitor to work. There's also no info for how much the case actually weighs.

R_1

Estimable
Herald

no case will have an HDMI port until a motherboard with HDMI or a GPU with HDMI are installed.
pick any case, any mini ITX case that will work for you. the motherboard and the GPU both have the port you need