NASA's Messenger Enters Orbit of Mercury

Status
Not open for further replies.

papaswedine

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
why do we care what mercury looks like... within the next century that planet is going to be burnt in to space dust...

tank

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
We care what mercury looks like because it is different than earth. Scientists hope to learn something new or make the next discovery. Papa with comments like that, i think you box in your mind a little. I am going to assume you are not a person who likes discoveries.

Unperson

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
"The Messenger spacecraft has reached the most important part of is mission."

Almost every article I read here has errors such as the one above.

The errors on this site are getting excessive and annoying. I can tolerate an occasional flub, but it's starting to seem like Tom's doesn't even care anymore; or at the very least be bothered to spell check or ensure proper grammar.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]papaswedine[/nom]within the next century that planet is going to be burnt in to space dust...[/citation]
What?

You think a planet that's been there for billions of years is going to vaporize in less than 100 more? Why? And where can I get some of whatever it is you're smoking?

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]papaswedine[/nom]why do we care what mercury looks like... within the next century that planet is going to be burnt in to space dust...[/citation]

We care for the same reason that we care about the world being older than 4000 years, the same reason that we care that we can split atoms or build a wheel. It's called progress. Knowledge.

Mercury can tell us a lot of useful information about how the solar system formed since it is in many ways a {time} frozen state of protoplanets that grew to be all the other planets in the solar system. It's position in the solar system can also tell us more about what observed exoplanets in similar proximity to their stars might be like. It has a lot of interesting science to give us.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The earth is flat and the Moon is only the backside of the Sun, everyone knows that!

Monkeys with guns is what some people are.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]The earth is flat and the Moon is only the backside of the Sun, everyone knows that!Monkeys with guns is what some people are.[/citation]

you is the monkey! I is no monkey!

tee1up

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
I am going to predict that investigations of Mercury come up with a short grocery list of nuth'n. Even if it was loaded with truffles and iphones, we have demonstrated that we barely have the technology to blast stuff into low earth orbit.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
"interested only if mercury has higher grade silicon than earth"

Uh, why? We can make 100% pure silicon. It doesn't get any better than that.

" we have demonstrated that we barely have the technology to blast stuff into low earth orbit."

Says the man in the comments about a probe that's orbiting Mercury. Mercury is far outside of low Earth orbit.

theguy82

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I read a lot of educated comments and a lot of simple minded ones too. Ever since I started watching the TV series "The Universe", I have been fascinated with astronomy. Any new discovery now may be small or could be huge. It is something that wasn't known before and as a human species, we will continue to discover to keep the species alive.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Unperson[/nom]"The Messenger spacecraft has reached the most important part of is mission."Almost every article I read here has errors such as the one above.The errors on this site are getting excessive and annoying. I can tolerate an occasional flub, but it's starting to seem like Tom's doesn't even care anymore; or at the very least be bothered to spell check or ensure proper grammar.[/citation]

O ffs people like you with the giant stick up your ass are getting excessively annoying. Please for the love of god STFU if you have nothing to say worth reading. Please don't bore others needlessly with your psycho babble. Maybe if you weren't such an anal twit you much like most everyone else would have read that knowing what it should say instead of having to make a boring pointless and neurotic post about what it should say.. PLEASE go back to trying to pull that stick from your ass.

/end rant

On topic i cant wait to see what they find :)

Unperson

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]O ffs people like you with the giant stick up your ass are getting excessively annoying. Please for the love of god STFU if you have nothing to say worth reading. Please don't bore others needlessly with your psycho babble. Maybe if you weren't such an anal twit you much like most everyone else would have read that knowing what it should say instead of having to make a boring pointless and neurotic post about what it should say.. PLEASE go back to trying to pull that stick from your ass./end rantOn topic i cant wait to see what they find[/citation]

Dear EnFoRc.. ..(whichever ultra-cool way you spell your name that makes you look cUtt1ng 3dg3)...

I love you too! No, really; it's true!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS