Nation's First Copyright Center Opening Soon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
To me that's like road construction issuing speeding tickets. Excuse me Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner and AT&T, last time I checked , I believe I pay your salaries not the MPAA or the RIAA.

I think we citizens should band together and create our own center for telling these people to freak off, hold things like national cancel your internet service day. I would to love to see their faces. I mean really we can all do it for one day cancel our service.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
There's only one... only one thing that matters.

They want to profit. But they spend loads of money on ads, and "anti-piracy" measures. To be able to get a return in money, they need to increase the product price. So it's a spiral that never ends, and the legal buying consumer ends up funding their "anti-piracy" and advertising campaings.

jehanne

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I run my own Tor relay, so, please, no "flaming." Downloading torrents via Tor is relatively quick and painless. And, it's not in "bad taste," IF you are willing to volunteer as a relay operator. Using BitComet is, IMO, the easiest. Just install the Vidalia Bundle and BitComet; point your Proxy Port at address 'localhost' using port 8118 via HTTP 1.1 and disable DHT. I do not download any material online, by the way; I have Netflix, which I have barely enough time to watch; for me, this is a "social justice" thing.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom]Bomb that shit off. While we're at it, bomb the White House, Wall Street, the Trilateral Commission, the CIA, the FBI, the UN, and I'm sure I'm missing some. Oh look, now I'm labeled as a terrorist and I'm being watched by the CIA. Good thing I don't live in the USA, I'd be dead by now. Oh wait, I live in Canada, not much better.....[/citation]
Add in the RIAA, MPAA, and Lamar Smith.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Well ok, the RIAA isn't all that bad since they let people purchase unDRMed music and do what they damn well please with it, but they were involved with SOPA, so I'm not so sure...

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Thank god i don't live in the US. Lets be honest some software and movies are over priced. If you live in eastern Europe your makeing about 200-350eu's on avrg, this includes school teachears btw, so i dont find it plausable that people will spend 100 out of 300 for a windows licence or go buy movie tickets all day long for what ever crap they are pumping out. I am fairly certain that there is more evil dowloading going on in eastern eu then in the US, time to invade i think :))

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]It's getting time to move to another country[/citation]
Where you can steal legally? China, maybe?

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]And yet more money wasted on this wild goose chase, looking for their lost profits. If they'd invested one percent of what they spend fighting piracy to, I don't know, improve their content or find out why people aren't buying their products as much, they'd be much better off.I guess everybody loves a good witch hunt, though. Especially the investors. Makes it real easy for you to point and say "Look what we're doing to protect our investments!" even though you may as well just be burning the money instead.Piracy isn't the cause of your lost sales, it's your awful content and staunch refusal to embrace new business models more favorable to the consumer until it's too late. I get it, the old business model made you all obscenely rich and you like that, but people weren't going to go on buying your CDs at 10,000% markup forever.[/citation]

More of the same knee-jerk $#*@.
1. If the content were awful, no one would be downloading it. People don't say, "Man, that movie/game/CD stinks... I better go download it right away! I love downloading games I don't want to play and movies I don't want to watch!"

2. Staunch refusal to embrace new business models? Are you living in 1999? Everyone b***hed about being able to get music right away, so we got iTunes and other stores. Then they b***hed about DRM, so iTunes and Amazon began selling the music without DRM. But guess what? PEOPLE STILL PIRATE IT.
Movies are available to watch on cable on-demand, and directly over the Internet with Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand, iTunes, Hulu and others. Guess what? PEOPLE STILL PIRATE THEM.
Steam, Good Old Games and others make games easily available for download online. Guess what? PEOPLE STILL PIRATE THEM. Good Old Games (GOG) and Stardock have no DRM. Guess what? All of Stardock's games and GOG-specific torrents are available on popular bittorrent sites like Demonoid and file-sharing sites.
Books and magazines are available in seconds and you can read them on your Windows, Mac or Linux desktops, your iPhones, iPads and Android devices - guess what? PEOPLE NOT ONLY PIRATE THEM, BUT THEY PIRATE THEM MORE THAN EVER NOW THAT IT'S EASIER BEING IN A DIGITAL FORMAT.

Now feel free to b**ch and whine about how oppressed you are by evil corporations while you continue to steal everything you can get your hands on and try to invent some new excuses for why you're forced to do it.

This Copyright Center agreement came about because *greedy people just won't stop stealing even though none of the old excuses exist and things are so much better than they were 10 years ago with streaming everything, e-book readers, etc.* Now you're going to see some starving student or unemployed person harassed for downloading a movie because vast numbers of employed people with iPads and Kindles and whatnot just didn't want to pay for anything. They're the reason the RIAA and MPAA and ISPs have dialed things up to 11.

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]I am trying to remember a single example where forcing consumers to do something actually worked. Is it that hard to understand that the market decides how much to pay for what you produce, and not the other way around?[/citation]

Um, this is the "black market", something else entirely.

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]olaf[/nom]Thank god i don't live in the US. Lets be honest some software and movies are over priced. If you live in eastern Europe your makeing about 200-350eu's on avrg, this includes school teachears btw, so i dont find it plausable that people will spend 100 out of 300 for a windows licence or go buy movie tickets all day long for what ever crap they are pumping out. I am fairly certain that there is more evil dowloading going on in eastern eu then in the US, time to invade i think )[/citation]

Ah, software piracy. Another case where people shoot themselves in the foot. Can't afford a Windows license? RUN LINUX. Worried that you can't run Office or Photoshop? Well, YOU PIRATED THEM TOO. If it weren't for software pirates running illegal copies of Windows, Office and Photoshop, Linux, LibreOffice and GIMP would have many more users, their developers would receive more contributions of time, money, bug reports, etc. and they'd be even better, and everyone would benefit, both in developed and undeveloped nations (a recent story on the net involved people in Zambia turning cargo shipping containers into Internet cafes with old PCs running Linux and other open source software, using open source course software to teach people remotely, farmers able to check prices for crops and get better deals, etc. and the people doing this talked about how they couldn't afford to do it with Windows).

There's a whole community out there giving their own time and effort to develop open source OSes, productivity, educational and entertainment software and giving it away for free. There's really no excuse to pirate expensive commercial software in that case. Not only that, by not adopting the free solution, you artificially lower demand for it and discourage developers and users. Heck, if everyone running a bootleg copy of XP switched to Linux it'd probably have OS X market share overnight... which would encourage more developers to write for the platform and hardware vendors to support it, etc. If you can't afford to drive a Porsche you find a cheaper car that still gets you where you need to go; you don't steal one. The same with software.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
maybe if linux whould a bit more user friendly and not be like an 80's programing language people whould actualy use it more widely

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
The RIAA is clearly a slow learning venture.
Here you have a bunch of old, greedy power hungry Execs who grew up shortly after the invention of light; trying to take on a tech world they can not understand.

Remember. pissing of a lawyer and a hacker is a bad idea.
Lawyers gets back at you with all the power available to them within the law.
Hackers just gets back at you... :)

Forcing an outdated business model down your customers throat is not working in the long run. Adapt, or become extinct !

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]The RIAA is clearly a slow learning venture.Here you have a bunch of old, greedy power hungry Execs who grew up shortly after the invention of light; trying to take on a tech world they can not understand.Forcing an outdated business model down your customers
throat is not working in the long run. Adapt, or become extinct ![/citation]

Exactly what business model do you want them to adopt? They already adopted all the business models people were using as excuses last time: downloadable content, no DRM, etc. Perhaps now "giving it all away for free" is the business model you have in mind?

When people refuse to accept reasonable practices, reasonable laws and policies (which this graduated response policy clearly is), reasonable DRM, etc. they turn things into a zero-sum game... and then they bit*h about the zero sum game they forced on themselves.

I'd like to see someone come forward and explain how they would deal with piracy and solve the piracy problem if they don't like something like this. You can't complain and not offer another solution; the problem needs to be solved one way or another.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
So where do I apply?

Constant emails about where downloads are available. I guess that it would need to be downloaded to 'confirm' that it is infringing content.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]alcalde[/nom]Exactly what business model do you want them to adopt? They already adopted all the business models people were using as excuses last time: downloadable content, no DRM, etc..[/citation]

Charging $.99 for a low quality MP3 is hardly up to today's standards.
Problem is that people are so used to MP3 'quality' they do not even know anymore what a really good recording sounds like!

Instead of going forward in quality (which the studios did in the studios) we are being taken backwards on the consumer end.
MP3s are typically 128kb/s with a maximum of 320kb/s
A good ol' CD delivers over 1400kb/s !

Apple and others sell you an iPods etc with room for 20,000+ MP3s; openly inviting piracy; or do you seriously seeing anyone paying $20000 to fill that thing up?

Give me a 5.1/96khz/24bit recording -yes, it is a huge file- and I will gladly pay a buck or two for a good song.

Status
Not open for further replies.