Need a budget (arround 300-600 euros) laptop for college/Solidworks/C programing

Portuguesetechie

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
1. What is your budget? 300-600 euros, i would rather not get over 500 but if its very impressive then sure ill get it
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Anything from 10'-15' would be fine for me i would prefer something small but i know small and powerfull might be expensive so i can do 15'

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p would be nice

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? No, i won't be gaming at all (welll maybe some Heartstone or SMITE on low settings if i have to) i just need it to be fast-ish, good at solidworks , word processing and programming

5. How much battery life do you need? Not too picky but would like decent batery life 2+hours would be nice, 5+ would be perfect

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? SMITE/Heartstone just ocasionally, i don't mind running it on super low settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Solidworks/Solidedge projects for school, word processing, watching youtube and web browsing and also programming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Not much, but 126gb+ at least , preferably 256gb+ but i can live with 126gb
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I think I can buy most of the laptops avaiable in europe but for portuguese specific stores:
fnac.pt pcdiga.com
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? My college course is 5 years so I would love it if it lasts that long but if it lasts 4 years it would also be aceptable

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Any drive, i will only be putting MS Office 2007 through CD on it

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I Don't know what brands of laptops are good so I'll leave this for you guys to decide

13. What country do you live in? Portugal

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
As i said before i don't need a high end computer, just something that will get through solidworks/solidedge/C programmimg as seemless as possible and that has a decent batery life and isn't too bulky and heavy

Solution
I would recommend an asus laptop with a quadrino gpu. I would go with one of the n series. You can look through them and decide which is best for you. Another good brand is hp as they make good laptops with this chip.

Portuguesetechie

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

Thanks for your suggestion, sorry for my noobness but when u mean Quadrino GPU what do u mean?

Don't worry, thats whats forums are for. A Quadrino GPU is a type of Nivida GPU specially made for 3d cad work. Its a more professional version of the Geforce series which are used in gaming laptops

Portuguesetechie

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

I was told AMD was better at solidworks modelling because of OpenGL what's your thought on that?
And how do i know if my card is a quadrino? because the N series you recommended had GT760M GPU's on some pcs

I didn't know that as I am not familiar with that software. You will know it is a Quadrino GPU as it will say Quadrino in its name. Graphics cards with GT or GTX are geforce cards.

Portuguesetechie

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

The N series asus i can only find with geforce cards.....but thanks ill look into ti :)

Hp is another company which uses these graphics card. Look for workstation laptops and you should be able to find one that suits you.