Need a fast laptop for home usage, no gaming

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I'm looking to buy a 17" laptop for simple home/office usage around $2,500.

Planning to install vista on in, as i have it on my desktop and its fabulous.

Basicly this is what i've looked at but i am open to other options as well.

Alienware M9750 - Dont really need a 512mb graphic card, but the overall price is good ($2,600)
Dell XPS M1710 - Price is kind of high for the components.
Apple MacBook Pro (17") -Price is way too high, but it looks very good, plus a 2.4Ghz CPU, and software goodies.

I don't need a very good graphic card (256mb is enough), however DX10 support would be a plus. I definatly need at least 2.0Ghz of Dual-core CPU speed. At least 2 Gb of ram. No more than 160gb 7,200 rpm (preferably) hard drive (RAID or no?). Sound card, i'm ok with a good onboard, but the X-FI on the alienware is a good deal.

By the way, i already have Vista Ultimate and all the other software. However, i do need a good briefcase style carrying case.

Please provide some feedback.

gigman

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
I'd say go with a alienware. Even though your not gaming Alienware Laptops are none to have very high quality. I say stay away from dells although you can get some good deals on thier refurbished vostro notebooks.

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
The VOSTRO 1700 (after i customized it) is exactly what i want. Thank You.

However, is it a high quality laptop? Seeing that its better than any of the 3 i mentioned and costs a fraction of the price.
Ex:
what are its battery life/requirements?
How much heat does it produce?
Reliability?

You do know that Alienware was bought out by Dell a few years ago right? If you say stay away from Dell, you include Alienware in that.