Need a Gaming Laptop to play Ultra settings.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Good morning all. I need some advise on a laptop. I know IVY is just around the corner and the 680m is also around the corner. My main purpose is to game on ultra settings being protrable. I already have a deskstop i7930 OC'd to 4.1ghz with crossfired 5850's. They run all games on ultra at this time with no issues. But again, I do need something prortable. I'm a sucker for eye canada so I want to ensure that I can max everything for WOW D3 and GW2.

So lets get started.

What is your budget? Under $2000.00

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15-17inch

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? –portable gaming –I have a i7930 desktop with cross-fired 5850’s but I want to be mobile

5. How much battery life do you need? Doesn’t matter

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Ultra settings. WOW D3 and GW2 –I will not be playing anything with 3D visions nor to I ever plan too. =)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) None- Just normal web surfing NO Video or Photo editing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Not really important –really just a bonus –Would love SSD in the future (upgrade later or what u guys recommend)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Anywhere in Toronto Canada.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 4yrs if possible

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD only

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Open to anything

13. What country do you live in? Canada

Questions:

I heard Ivy Bridge is suspected to come out in the end of April and really the biggist increase is the intregated video card and slight CPU perofrmance. Would the suspected 5%-20% CPU performacnce effect fps in the games im playing?

675m is currently the top dog, and is a somewhat rebadge of the 580m (fermi). Is it really worth while waiting? I don't think i would shell out over 2k for a laptop just to get 680m and/or Ivy bridge.

Please dont post: gaming laptop = usless

And I know if I keep on waiting I will never buy cause new stuff is always coming out..but its really just around the corner......

These are the 2 im currently looking at.

Sager NP9170
17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M w/2GB GDDR5
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor (6MB L3 Cache, 2.20GHz)
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module

$1710.74 + tax (shipping included)

http://www.reflexnotebook.ca/index.php/sager-notebooks/sager-np9170.html

Sager NP9150
15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M w/2GB GDDR5
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.20GHz)
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module

$1659.49 + tax (Shipping included)

http://www.reflexnotebook.ca/index.php/sager-notebooks/sager-np9150.html

Do you think these two are good buys at this time? Anyone have had the previous sagers? I have heard good things with them or any other brands and/or build that you
recommend.

Thank you for all your attention in this matter.

Regards,

Solution
Read the THG article on IB MoBos on the home page .... after ya get done yawning start shoping with that info in hand. I'm down 5 desktops and 4 laptops in my home. I spend 80% of my gaming time on one of the laptops. The desktops include one with a single 580 and one with twin 560 Ti's overclocked about 25% .... in other words, about 29% faster than a single 680.

But, while the juice comes in handy for Batman Arkhan City in 3D and Metro 2011 it's simply not needed for the games I play over and over again. For $2k yoiu can start with the Clevo P270WM

17.3" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) LED
8GB, PC3-12800/1600Mhz DDR3 - 2 x 4GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M w/2GB GDDR5 (SLI Upgrade available)
500GB/7200rpm 16MB Cache Buffer SATA-300...

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Honestly, my mobile i7-2720QM is a BEAST. I use it for much more demanding tasks than gaming (virtualization lab) and it hasn't let me down once in the past year. From published info, I don't really see a huge differenc in the upcoming Ivy bridge mobile procs. Maybe 6-10% but are you really going to use that overhead? i haven't seen an Intel mobile Sandy Bridge CPU that bottlenecks any available properly paired GPU.

So the overhead in the proc department might be worth it if you were crunching numbers or performing massive video encoding on a schedule and making money off it. I know I budgeted for an Ivy bridge mobile upgrade this year and will be putting the money elswhere. I just don't see it in the cards that the investment would make sense since i have substantial overhead in the proc I have now. If anything I will put the money aside to grab a Kepler mobile GPU near end of year.

CPU-wise.... could NOT be happier! The i7-mobile platform tickles me in just the right spot.

One thing to think of, if you want to wait is to grab a discounted Sandy bridge when the Ivy bridge is released. I think that is where the smart folks will head.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

ram1009 = moron

You keep stating this. Could you please let us in on what wonderful bits of knowledge lead you to this obviously well thought out conclusion? If not, plz stop posting it.

Read the THG article on IB MoBos on the home page .... after ya get done yawning start shoping with that info in hand. I'm down 5 desktops and 4 laptops in my home. I spend 80% of my gaming time on one of the laptops. The desktops include one with a single 580 and one with twin 560 Ti's overclocked about 25% .... in other words, about 29% faster than a single 680.

But, while the juice comes in handy for Batman Arkhan City in 3D and Metro 2011 it's simply not needed for the games I play over and over again. For $2k yoiu can start with the Clevo P270WM

8GB, PC3-12800/1600Mhz DDR3 - 2 x 4GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M w/2GB GDDR5 (SLI Upgrade available)
500GB/7200rpm 16MB Cache Buffer SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s)
8X Max. DVD±R/RW Writer/Reader / 4X Max. +DL Super-Mulit Drive
Li-Polymer Battery Pack
Intel Ultimate-N 6300 Wi-Fi
Bluetooth Module
Full Color Programmable KB Backlight
Built-In 2.0M Pixels Digital Video Camera
Built-In Fingerprint Reader
Built-In Gigabit Ethernet LAN
9-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/SD/Mini-SD/SDHC/SDXC)
IEEE 1394b Fire Wire Port
2 USB 2.0 Ports
2 USB 3.0 Ports
1 eSATA/USB Port
1 DVI Output Port
1 HDMI 1.4a Output Port
1 Display Port 1.2
1 Kensington Lock Port
4 Audio Jacks for Line-Out, Line-In, Microphone-In, and S/PDIF-Out
Built-in Microphone, 5 Speakers and 1 Sub-Woofer
1 300W, 100V to 240V, 50-60Hz, Autoswitch AC Power Adapter
Standard Carrying Bag with Strap

$2100

Or P170EM (Customized)

16GB, PC3-10600/1333Mhz DDR3 - 4 x 4GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M w/1.5GB GDDR5 with Optimus Technology
128GB Crucial M4 SATA III Solid State Drive
750GB/7200rpm 16MB Cache Buffer SATA-300 (
6x Max. Blu-Ray Reader / 8x Max. DVD±R/2.4X Max. +DL Super-Multi Drive
Windows 7 Professional Edition 64-bit
8 Cells Lithium-Ion Battery Pack 76.96WH
Integrated 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth V3.0 Combo
Full Color Programmable KB Backlight
Built-In 2.0M Pixels Digital Video Camera
Built-In Fingerprint Reader
Built-In Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Built-In 9-IN-1 Flash Memory Reader(MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS DUO/SD/Mini-SD/SDHC/SDXC)
1 IEEE-1394a Fire Wire
1 USB 2.0 Ports
3 USB 3.0 Ports
1 eSATA Port (USB 3.0 Combo)
1 HDMI 1.4a Output (with HDCP)
1 DVI-I Port
1 Display Port 1.1
1 Kensington Lock Port
Built-in Microphone, 2 Speakers and 1 Sub-Woofer
4 Audio Jacks for Headphone, Microphone-In, S/PDIF-Out, and Line-In
1 100/240V Autoswitch AC Power Adapter
Standard Carrying Case with Strap

$1840

Read about Clevo here .... pre Dell's purchase, they made Alienware laptops ... they also make Sager, WidowPC, FalconNorthwest and ost of the hi performance boutique brands sold under other names.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html
http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/592609-clevo-guide-v3-0-faq-reseller-info-read-before-posting.html

Prostar has a great web site for comparison shopping but lousy service.
http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=4

Xoticpc has a cumbersome web site but solid service reputation.
http://www.xoticpccom/

Solution

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Man, you have not gotten your memo in the mail have you?! You CANNOT play games on laptops and actually enjoy the experience. SHEESH! Turn off the laptop and go play on your desktop. NOW. There is NO WAY you are happy with games on your laptop. None. Get a frigging clue!

If you actually work for a living and are 800 miles from your desktop and you want to game, screw it. Get in the car and drive home so you can raid tonight. Cuz we all know that ME3 won't load, your WoW guild will boot you if they find out you play on a laptop and you will DEFINITELY not be allowed to purchase Diablo 3 if Blizzard finds out you want to run it on your laptop.

Will people ever learn?! Gaming laptop = oxymoron!

:sarcastic:

Hi :)

Ram is correct.... and I sell both custom gamers machines ( my own company builds) and High end and gaming Laptops....

The day ANY Laptop can do what my old desktop can do in games I will admit I am wrong...

My old desktop specs..... 1100T ..16 gb ram, twin 5870`s (the rare 2 gb version) Windows 7 Ultimate (genuine) BR writer etc....

I have not yet met ANY game I cannot play on Ultra..... although not tried BF3 yet...but "Casual" our Toms BF3 expert thinks it will run Ultra...

You cannot say that about ANY Lappy....

All the best Brett :)

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

The only thing that can be called "gaming" is what runs the latest and greatest games on the highest resolution. Gotcha. :sarcastic:

A machine designed to pump out the best possible gaming experience and fulfill the requirements of a person that cannot be strapped to a desk cannot be called a "gaming laptop". Got it. Thanks for clarifying. I think I will throw in another :sarcastic: just cuz it is funny.

Best tell Nvidia and AMD this... since they make mobile gaming cards. They must be marketing their stuff all wrong. Ya know what, screw it. Who needs discrete cards in their laptops! The mobile vendors should make a blanket statement that they will no longer make discrete cards since laptops can't play games sufficiently. The masses have said so. The world will run on integrated GPUs since the need for high performance gaming is neither being fulfilled or desired by the masses.

Someone better send a memo to Eurocom, Alienware, etc. Oh... and Razer, guess they should have talked to you before spending millions designing their first laptop. You probably could have provided their research, marketing and financial departments some oversight.

Oh, btw.... I will have fun GAMING @ high/ultra settings when I am away from my desk on my "gaming laptop" (DOH, shouldn't have said that). I think I prefer not running games in ultra to not running games at all! :bounce:

The NVIDIA and AMD cards for so called "Gaming Laptops" are basically a con...and anyone who knows about hardware knows that, BUT.... THEY RELY ON THE "MAJORITY" of people (who are NOT experts) in hardware...those people see the words GAMING LAPTOP and incorrectly believe the words...

And I have not seen ANY LAPTOP yet that will run Metro 2033 on MAX.... my desktop can though, without even breathing heavily...

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Please explain how it is a "con"? And where are these people who know it but aren't telling the rest of us? All of us who bought "gaming laptops" that can play the games that we play on full settings are idiots who were conned. Nice.

Crap, don't tell my laptop. It might not run Skyrim on Ultra @ 40FPS the next time I ask it too.

You still haven't provided a solution to desktop gaming that allows for the ONE thing that a laptop user requires: mobility. How does your desktop handle gaming when you are away from your desk? How well does your Metro 2033 on MAX serve you then? How can those of us hard core gamers that are road warriors (weekly raiding, more than 3 hours of gameplay a day, etc) get in on your hardware goodness? Oh wait... we can't. So we can't buy "gaming laptops" and must sit out our daily stress relief and fun.

Please stop spewing crap like laptops can't be gaming machines. You are really spreading a useless stereotypes. Your comments should be more along the lines of, because this is exactly what you are saying:

"My desktop runs games better than your laptop."

But idiotic statements like what have been posted regarding laptops and gaming while providing ABSOLUTELY no valid input to the subject at hand are not beneficial.

And, BTW, I could probably be considered a hardware "expert". Having designed and built enterprise network, server and storage platforms for government and fortune 100 companies for well over 15 years and hold numerous industry certifications on hardware and virtualization. Guess I better get to knowing what I am talking about.

G

Thanks for all your input guys..but no one has really answered my questions..

"Do you think these two are good buys at this time? Anyone have had the previous sagers? I have heard good things with them or any other brands and/or build that you recommend."

Any other comments is greatly appericated...

1. I agree that laptops cannot run as good as a desktop (cost wise and maxed out wise)

Thats is not the answer im looking for..

2. There are "gaming" laptops that can run at full HD...the questions is regarding my 1st post. Is suggestions that can help me decide if the choice is good or any other build recommendations.

I need something protable....

Thank you.

If a "Gaming Laptop" CANNOT play bf3 on Ultra or Metro 2033 in Very High...it is NOT a Gaming machine....

CAN YOURS ?

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

So.... any desktop that cannot run Metro 2033 in Very High is NOT a gaming desktop. Got it.

Hear that guys.... all of your machines (no matter what the form factor) that cannot run Metro 2033 on Very High, even if you NEVER play this game, cannot be called a gaming machine.

Interesting perspective. I guess since my Corvette Z06 cannot outrun the latest 2012 Ferarri it is not a sportscar. Sigh.

When a customer comes into one of my Computer shops in the UK and wants a "Gaming Laptop" ... we explain VERY carefully what it will and wont do....

Generally if they want the BEST gaming machine , we build them a Custom built tower (server case).... and they START at £3000 and go up from there....

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Now you are thinking! Get the customer's needs! See, there is such a thing as a gaming laptop! :p

Customer comes in and says they need the best solution that will allow them a satisfying gaming experience and mobility = laptop designed for gaming w/ capable GPU.

Customer says they need the best gaming machine for 1500.00 that you can build = desktop designed for gaming at best possible gfx performance per dollar

Customer comes in and says money is no object and they want 1000FPS in Metro 2033 and sky is the cost limit = desktop designed for gaming with 4x680s!

IE, these are all machines that can be used for gaming. Do you tell your customer who want a gaming laptop that there is no such thing and that they are morons duped by the despicable vendors trying to take their money?

There are mobile GPUs that can play the OPs games in ultra. So yes, there is a "gaming laptop" available to him.

Actually when we talk to a customer...we mainly explain what a gaming laptop CANNOT do....

And what a Pc gaming tower CAN do....

A lot of even fairly experienced gamers are misled by the hype of gaming lappies...

Once its explained, then they either buy the "gaming" lappy (knowing its limitations) or go for a custom tower...

Dont forget I am a retailer...and have certain legal obligations to a buyer, including NOT misrepresenting an item or under UK law they can bring it back for a full refund and in theory I can be prosecuted as well...

pockeg

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
we explain VERY carefully what it will and wont do
START at £3000 and go up from there

Do you explain Very carefully that you are ripping them off :)
A full tower that can run Metro 2033 maxed out at 1920res can be built off Amazon uk for sub £2000

Noctua NH-D14 £59.50

Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM £98.63

Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2UK Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 High Performance 750W Power Supply £79.66

Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor £158.10

Crucial CT128M4SSD2 128GB M4 SSD £113.98

G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X for Intel Sandybridge Platforms DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 8GB Kit £40.79

AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard, Socket 1155, PCI-Express 3.0, DDR3, USB 3.0, HDMI, 7.1 HD Audio £112.63

EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card £420.97

Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case £91.05

Subtotal: £1,175.31
That is a top of the line gaming beast, does not get much better than that! WHERE does you £3000 fit in!!!?
"when did making a living become making a killing?"
pls stop robbing people blind

Did you miss the part where I said I was a retailer.... ??

Those parts above are fine...although a little low end...

BUT....you missed a few things.....in particular LABOUR..... I have to PAY PEOPLE to build machines...

You are comparing apples and oranges... a homebuild is NOTHING like a retail build... costwise...

I have rates, rent , labour to pay plus a lot of other costs....

And WE GUARANTEE our machines unconditionally for 12 months.... ON SITE at the customers house....

Hi.
You seem to know that the Kepler high-end GTX6xxM laptops aren't here yet but coming.

I strongly suggest you wait for one of those, specifically:

- GTX6xxM (28nm Kepler chip), and
- OPTIMUS support

also:
- quality laptop like Asus
- best GPU for your price range
- get 4GB of RAM. The small benefit of 8GB isn't justified by the heat (no gaming benefit and the multi-tasking benefit is almost zero if you have an SSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.