Need a Gaming Laptop to play Ultra settings.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Good morning all. I need some advise on a laptop. I know IVY is just around the corner and the 680m is also around the corner. My main purpose is to game on ultra settings being protrable. I already have a deskstop i7930 OC'd to 4.1ghz with crossfired 5850's. They run all games on ultra at this time with no issues. But again, I do need something prortable. I'm a sucker for eye canada so I want to ensure that I can max everything for WOW D3 and GW2.

So lets get started.

What is your budget? Under $2000.00

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15-17inch

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? –portable gaming –I have a i7930 desktop with cross-fired 5850’s but I want to be mobile

5. How much battery life do you need? Doesn’t matter

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Ultra settings. WOW D3 and GW2 –I will not be playing anything with 3D visions nor to I ever plan too. =)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) None- Just normal web surfing NO Video or Photo editing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Not really important –really just a bonus –Would love SSD in the future (upgrade later or what u guys recommend)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Anywhere in Toronto Canada.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 4yrs if possible

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD only

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Open to anything

13. What country do you live in? Canada

Questions:

I heard Ivy Bridge is suspected to come out in the end of April and really the biggist increase is the intregated video card and slight CPU perofrmance. Would the suspected 5%-20% CPU performacnce effect fps in the games im playing?

675m is currently the top dog, and is a somewhat rebadge of the 580m (fermi). Is it really worth while waiting? I don't think i would shell out over 2k for a laptop just to get 680m and/or Ivy bridge.

Please dont post: gaming laptop = usless

And I know if I keep on waiting I will never buy cause new stuff is always coming out..but its really just around the corner......

These are the 2 im currently looking at.

Sager NP9170
17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M w/2GB GDDR5
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor (6MB L3 Cache, 2.20GHz)
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module

$1710.74 + tax (shipping included)

http://www.reflexnotebook.ca/index.php/sager-notebooks/sager-np9170.html

Sager NP9150
15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M w/2GB GDDR5
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.20GHz)
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module

$1659.49 + tax (Shipping included)

http://www.reflexnotebook.ca/index.php/sager-notebooks/sager-np9150.html

Do you think these two are good buys at this time? Anyone have had the previous sagers? I have heard good things with them or any other brands and/or build that you
recommend.

Thank you for all your attention in this matter.

Regards,

Solution
Read the THG article on IB MoBos on the home page .... after ya get done yawning start shoping with that info in hand. I'm down 5 desktops and 4 laptops in my home. I spend 80% of my gaming time on one of the laptops. The desktops include one with a single 580 and one with twin 560 Ti's overclocked about 25% .... in other words, about 29% faster than a single 680.

But, while the juice comes in handy for Batman Arkhan City in 3D and Metro 2011 it's simply not needed for the games I play over and over again. For $2k yoiu can start with the Clevo P270WM

17.3" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) LED
8GB, PC3-12800/1600Mhz DDR3 - 2 x 4GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M w/2GB GDDR5 (SLI Upgrade available)
500GB/7200rpm 16MB Cache Buffer SATA-300...
Note the rebadging:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-announces-Kepler-architecture-and-new-laptop-graphics-cards.72170.0.html

So my advice is either 660M (available now?) or 680M (available soon?) as these are both Kepler which is not only a better architecture going forward especially but will run cooler which is really important.

GPU Boost, in particular for Kepler is the most important improvement for laptops as they set the thermal limit but GPU Boost can raise the frequency when needed for a game if the thermal limit hasn't been reached.

*Read up on the GTX680 for the new Kepler technology. It's quite interesting.

Here you go...
http://cellphonesnews.net/2012/04/06/asus-g75-with-geforce-gt-660m-a-must-for-gamers/

*Note that the RAM is way overkill. 4GB is sufficient and more than 8GB can't even be used at all without a video editing program buffering the video in the RAM (not just transcoding which is processing limited).

As for the memo, no I don't accept junk mail. As for the work for a living part, I started my 1st engineering consulting company in 1985 and got my initial building experience building specialized CAD boxes. I don't bother about 800 miles as the desktop is 8 feet away and simply not worth the "travel time".

I wouldn't consider being in a WoW guild with you and the other 13 year olds, never even considered playing the game. Try reading the "recommended" system requirements on the side of the box once and a while.

Your statement is akin to suggesting that I'm crazy for leaving the Porsche home because I won't get to work on time. I don't need to use a car that goes 190 mph on roads and at the time of day that traffic limits speeds to < 45.

After you have played on a laptop like the Clevo P270WM w/ an Intel Core i7-3960X, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M w/2GB GDDR5, 32 GB of DR3-1600, twin 480 GB Intel 520 SSD's in RAID 0, some back and tell me how much better 90% of the desktops owned by THG's audience out there are.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Dude (JackNaylorPE), you and I are on the same page. I am TOTALLY with you on this one. I was actually happy someone shared my opinion of mobile goodness. I was being sarcastic! :hello:

My main machine, out of many like you, is a gaming laptop (listed in my THG profile). I love it and wouldn't trade my current setup for even the largest e-penis compensating desktop on the planet.

And I don't play WoW... tried it. It was like being at my kid's daycare center for hours and paying for the experience.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Sager are excellent laptops. I don't personally have one but a few people that I work with have used Sager for years as lab/desktop replacements for some pretty heavy hitting processing work (much more demanding than a game would be). Good solid machines.

+1

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

I posted some specs that you could go by in order to reach your goal, basedon the games you play. Repost, see below.

If I were you I would look for a gaming laptop with the following as base (minimum) specs:

Proc: Core i7-2720QM
Mem: 8Gb
Storage: SSD
GPU: 6970m or better
Display: 1080p

This would get you by. Now, go shopping for that or better in your price point. I am unfamiliar with Canada and cannot provide "buy this" direction. I wouldn't anyway. You need to make the choice based on your personal research and understanding. Asking 15 people what they would buy is going to result in about 13.5 different answers. I would much rather guide you towards that right criteria for you to make your own decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS