Need a laptop - Best bang for the buck

XThuzyast

Honorable
May 16, 2013
1. What is your budget?
Pref: $500 or less. This is preference, as I will be able to get it easily. My ideal laptop cost quite a bit more. My next upgrade will probably be $1,200+

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Bigger is better. lol. No netbooks

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Not too pressed about it

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Not sure - I'll let you tell me after you see the usage.

5. How much battery life do you need?
At least an 2 hours, and that can be in a power saver mode

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I'm not really a gamer. If I did play games, it would be stuff like Left 4 Dead; Age Of Empires; Dungeon Siege; World of Warcraft; Diablo 1 & 2 (don't have 3, and won't buy it - not a big gamer); Mini Car Racing. WoW is very iffy. I like online & offline play, as sometimes it's just to waste an hour of time once a week.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Pref Windows 7 Ult 64-bit (can get on my own). I will be using MS Office. I will be learning CADD (Computer Aided Drafting & Design), maybe CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing), web design and development, mobile application development (mainly Android & iOS), running VM's. Full system encryption. Video calls. 2-3 external displays at the house. Watching movies, tv, etc. May possibly get into some light audio and video editing and encoding; like converting my videos, backing up CD's I have, etc.

I use Firefox and Chrome; I'm an extension junkie. I use Skype, Pidgin, Yahoo, Malwarebytes' Anti-malware, PeerBlock, ZoneAlarm, AVG AV. I will have nearly everything from VSO & SlySoft on it, Alcohol 120%, Nero, etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
While I'd love to have 2 drive bays, I don't care what it is. At least 500GB, but 1TB+ would be much more ideal. I have probably 1-1.5TB of data currently. I will have external drives to backup to daily, as well as cloud storage for important stuff that needs to be backed up immediately.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I'm willing to use eBay, NewEgg, Amazon, etc. If it's a trusted site, it's ok by me.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
This will be a temp laptop. I will probably pick it up by the middle or end of next month and will upgrade in November. I may upgrade one more time after Nov, but it will require something really good to be released.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I need at least a DVD burner, but Blu-ray would be great.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Well, I read somewhere that Dell is not very standardized. I'm just looking for something that if the ODD (optical drive) goes out in I can easily buy one of my choosing to replace it.

13. What country do you live in?
(Borat) U.S. of A. (no offense to anyone. that just came to mind)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I will be using it for Computer Science courses, learning CADD, web design and development, mobile application development, as well as similar areas of interest. I will be making full use of Lynda.com, Alison.com, Coursera.org I also do a lot of reading online and Bible study. While I don't mind they battery only lasting 2 hours on power saver, it would be great if it lasted a bit longer, especially if it wasn't on power saver. And I'm not really an AMD fan. I think an i5 would work, and at least 8GB of RAM. Pertaining to VM's as I know they are killer on RAM... I will have an image of just the OS, the OS with software and configurations, and a copy of the OS with software and configurations. I will use the copy as what I always work with. Basically, if it gets a virus, just delete it and I can start back up in less than 20 minutes. So that's just 1 VM. The other VM's would be testing different linux distros 1 by 1. I will run VM's of other stuff 1 by 1 too, such as Android and iOS, etc.

I hope that covers everything. If I missed anything or you need more info, please let me know. I'm more pressed about cost than it being able to do everything. If I should wait a little longer or ask later let me know, or delete/close this.

If you're going to be learning and USING CAD software, you may need something with a dedicated graphics chip - even if it's a low tier one - in which case, you may need to up your budget a bit; that is, of course, unless you go with a refurbished/re-certified or used system.

If that's really not a concern though, then Toshiba and Lenovo are of fair build quality for that price point, in my experience anyway. Samsung too if you find a notebook in that $ range by them.

Based on what's available on Newegg... and starting low priced laptops. Note that for $500 you will typically only get a laptop with one drive bay and a 1366x768 resolution screen. These will all have integrated graphics which basically means the Intel HD 4000 core or the Radeon HD 7420G.

Note: The Intel CPUs are more powerful than their AMD counterparts even though the clockspeed may be the same. The Intel HD 4000 is more powerful than the Radeon HD 7420G as well.

Lenovo G580 Metal (59359079) Notebook Intel Core i3 3120M(2.50GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1600 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW Intel HD Graphics 4000 - $380
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312428

Acer Aspire E1-571-6680 Notebook Intel Core i3 3110M(2.40GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics 4000 - $410
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314007

Acer Aspire E1-571-6837 Notebook Intel Core i5 3230M(2.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics 4000 - $450
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215992

HP Pavilion g6-2260us Notebook Intel Core i3 3110M(2.40GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics 4000 - $430 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834256720

HP Pavilion g6-2226nr Notebook AMD A-Series A4-4300M(2.5GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi AMD Radeon HD 7420G - $430
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834256724

HP Pavilion g6-2211nr Notebook AMD A-Series A4-4300M(2.5GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi AMD Radeon HD 7420G - $499
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834256721