Need a laptop for school!

JrBuns

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
I will be needing a laptop this coming fall for my college course. The things that i will be doing are design, install, troubleshoot and maintain microcomputer systems and networking equipment. Learning how to install, configure and administer operating systems from Microsoft and UNIX, and study advanced topics in network management, communication protocols, security, web support, database servers and mail servers.

The recommended laptop they suggested had to require these specs:
Processor (CPU): 64 bit Multicore Intel® w/ Intel-VT or 64 bit Multicore AMD with AMD-V support
Memory (RAM): 16GB Minimum
Optical Drive: DVD Multi Dual Layer or external USB Optical Drive (Optional)
Internal/External Storage: 750GB or greater HDD & 128GB or greater SSD with external USB Storage Drive
Network Interface: Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps with standard RJ45 jack (Mandatory)
Wireless Interface: 802.11b/g/n or better
Operating System: Must be compatible with Microsoft Windows 7/8.x but must be "Professional" and common Linux distributions.
Serial Port: Serial COMM port or USB-to-COMM adapter (Mandatory)

Also, they said to avoid any Apple products! My budget is only $1100 - $1400!!

Solution
Good luck finding a Serial port on a modern laptop.

You're going to need a USB to Serial adaptor which can be found here: Serial Adaptor

One of the best laptops for college (Our uni) is the 2017 Dell Inspiron 5000

It's one of the most solid and reliable laptops I've ever personally used and it's doing great so far.

It has absolutely fantastic battery life and charges really quickly.

Hope this helps,

Sorry for the long wait from the beginning, I was in class using My 5000 and got a little distracted.
Good luck finding a Serial port on a modern laptop.

You're going to need a USB to Serial adaptor which can be found here: Serial Adaptor

One of the best laptops for college (Our uni) is the 2017 Dell Inspiron 5000

It's one of the most solid and reliable laptops I've ever personally used and it's doing great so far.

It has absolutely fantastic battery life and charges really quickly.

Hope this helps,

Sorry for the long wait from the beginning, I was in class using My 5000 and got a little distracted.

Solution