Need a laptop recommendation for about 1400$

itkeman

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
1. What is your budget? Around 1400$, with a wiggle room of 200$.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I believe 15" should be good.

3. What screen resolution do you want? I'd like it to have Full HD resolution.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? I'm not sure I understand the question... A lot of the time I'd be using this computer at home, but still take it out every once in a while.

5. How much battery life do you need? I guess it should hold for at least three hours+...

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I don't play a lot of games, mostly Team Fortress 2. When GTA5 comes out to the PC, I'd like to play it on Medium-High configuration.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Besides playing games, I develop software and do some graphics design, using Visual Stduio and Photoshop. Plus, I want the computer to be able to run a VM or two in the background.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I want about 100GB of an SSD drive, and another regular drive of at least 500GB.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Nothing in particular...

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? For about three-four years, at least.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM Writer should be enough.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I don't want to buy an HP laptop, because I received several bad reviews about their laptops. I heard that dell laptops work well...

dustinhunt78

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/Gaming_Products/

Look at this link. Asus makes for some very nice gaming laptops. It's a very good place to start. Below is also a good article on helping you decide. Any questions, just hit me back! I'll help any way I can.

itkeman

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014

Will do, thanks Dustin!

That sounds brilliant, just like what I need. Although, I believe having less than 16gb of RAM and not being able to expand is problematic. Could you recommend a model which supports that?

Thanks a lot!

vash_021

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
correct me if im wrong but i believe that 8gb of ram ia enough for photoshop plus any vm in the background

it can also play ang games and multitask while the game is on

if you are into video editing then more ram is justifiable
again correct me if im wrong

itkeman

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014

Perhaps you are right... but still, does anyone have any idea about a laptop which supports 16GB?
Besided that, the only thing that bothers me is the manufacturer... I've never heard of MSI. Would you say its products are reliable and well built?