Need a new laptop looking for recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
My laptop just recently died and I'm looking for a solid laptop that will be good for programming, (Java, PHP, C++, etc) and playing an occasional game.
I ideally would like to spend as little as possible 600-1000 (less or more is welcome but for more has to have a good reason).

1_What is your budget?

600-1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

no preference

3_What screen resolution do you want?

no preference just not too small

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?

at least an hour

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

medium/low on modern games

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Programming with programs like eclipse

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

more than 100GB, i'd prefer a 7200RPM drive as well

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

none yet

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

at least 2 or 3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

no preference

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Asus C90S just had one and it was junk

13_What country do you live in?

USA

Thanks

You're also losing 180gb on the HDD with the Sony. You are basically paying for the Sony brand. I don't feel it's worth it. Was just a suggestion if you wanted to avoid Acer for any reason.

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009

I've read reviews of the Acer and i've heard nothing but good things about it, so that's why I lean towards the Acer.

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009

i hear the 5650 is better than the 330m

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
toshiba is wayyyyy better, they are very reliable and stable machines

the only problem is they can overheat, so go with an ATI card so it stays cool, if you go fermi and a toshiba, you can cook a steak on the laptop

There is no Fermi for laptops. The GT 300 series is just another rebadged GT 200 chip:
The card supports DirectX 10.1 and all the features of the GT 230M / 240M (as it is based on the same GT216 core).

Do not expect Fermi in laptops for a long time.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

i knwo there aren't but i was just saying, imagine the heat :??:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS