Need a second opinion on my solution

Jul 28, 2018
Ok so i have a problem with my laptop. I bought it a year ago and it ran great and still does for the most part. But recently it has begun turning off while playing some games while charging. I have to emphasize it only happens while charging and it used to be able to run the game fine. I have done some searching and found a suggestion to lower my processor speed but that only extends the time between shut downs from 4-8 minutes to about an hour. My working theory is i need a higher wattage charger but i wanted a second opinion before i go pay 30-50 dollars for a 130watt charger.

Jul 28, 2018

Im gonna need a source for that. I have looked into the higher wattage and literally everywhere on the internet, including manufacturer help forums, say that as long as the voltage is the required for the laptop and the wattage is at least the required it is fine. for instance if my computer needs 9 volts and ends up as needing 45 watts i can use a 130 watt charger as long as it still only uses 9 volts.

Jul 28, 2018

Im going to need to see a source. I have been doing research on the subject and literally everywhere says as long as the voltage is the same as what the laptop needs then the wattage does not matter as long as it is at least what is recommended. I have even seen this answer on help forums from laptop makers

Could be overheating, not likely it's the charger. Would help if you list your exact model number and is it the original charger that came with the laptop? All you need is the same charger the laptop uses, no need for a higher wattage one. Chances are a lot higher that the issue is with something on the laptop not the charger.

Jul 28, 2018

Its not overheating. That was my first theory so i bought a fan that keeps it below room temperature at all times. Last night it shut off while running chrome on the charger so the problem is escalating. Its the charger that came with it but i bought it refurbished so who knows how old the charger is. Its an asus x550z